Rabbit!

Page 1 of 4
Hi All,
I went out in the dark with a flash light to water my garden. Found the cutest little wabbit (Elmer Fudd speak for "rabbit") about the size of a baseball taking a nap in my zukes. He got a bath but good and now resides in other parts of my yard. Though he was a rat at first.
Are rabbits something to worry about? If so, how would you rid your garden of them?
Many thanks, -T
Todd wrote:

Rabbits can become your worst nightmare if they reach large numbers, even a few can be quite destructive if they keep returning. If your garden is the best (only) food about they can strip anything up to knee high. Contrary to Bugs Bunny cartoons they don't subsist on just carrots. It is heartbreaking to have all your seedlings chomped at ground level.
A vigliant Kelpie will severely discourage them - if you call being eaten disouraging. A waist height wire mesh fence will keep them out, they are not very smart and they don't jump the high bar but try to get through. Thank your stars you don't have roos.
On 07/08/2014 01:22 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Hi David,
Thank you.
Researching he web tells me to spray everything with a diluted mixture of Tabasco sauce or any hot pepper.
Can anyone confirm or deny?
-T
On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:12:37 AM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

Uh, we don't have rabbits, but when I eye the squirrels who terminated my (former) avocados with extreme prejudice,* and decimated my (former) apricots I think dark thoughts...
Alas, it's a little late - several decades late -- to ask my son to return the .22 which he took with him when he went out into the wide world.
*CIA-talk for offing people.
HB

On 07/08/2014 01:08 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You should hear what military snipers call it: "reduced"
That little bunny is awfully cute. I think I will give it a hot foot -- spray diluted Tabasco sauce all over it and its food. I am going to get me the cheapest, hottest crap I can find from WalMart.
On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:17:31 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

Two things: Do not buy from Walmart, which cruelly exploits is worker.
Next: Do not cruelly spike rabbitg's food with hot sauce.
Kill it quickly, fence it out, but do not torture it. HB
On 07/09/2014 10:54 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hi Higgs,
"Cruelly exploit". You are kidding? No one is forcing them to work there. They are not slaves. This is just mud slinging because they are a non-union shop. Lots of places pay crappy wages. If they are a union shop, you don't hear about it. No one is forcing anyone to work those places either.

You are kidding again? No?
The wabbit will only take a quick taste and it will come right back out. Kind of like me and Kale. YUK! The thought of it!
The bunny will be just fine. There is a difference between "aversion" and "torture". Tasting and rejecting food is part of wabbits normal everyday life.
What did you think I was going to do? Hold the poor little dear down, pry its mouth open, and pour cheap-asses hot sauce down his throat?
And if you were kidding, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
-T
On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:37:22 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

You don't know anything about Walmart's history with its workers. There's is ample material available, including books by writers who worked there - openly under their own names -- and reported the conditions.
You also don't know anything about the poverty in the areas where Walmart chooses to locate, where there are literally no other job options available.
I wish for you some day to be in the position of these exploited people. Let's see how arrogant you will be then!
HB

On 07/11/2014 03:21 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

As I said, lots of others pay crappy wages. Walmart catches this kind of slur as they are non-union. No one forces anyone to work there. Whether you like it or not, Walmart employees and all they other folks working low pay jobs are exchanging in a voluntary exchange of good and services between consenting parties. You are missing the "consent" part. And I have to give these people their due. They could be sucking off the public tit instead of working for a living.
On 7/11/2014 7:37 PM, Todd wrote:

HB never misses an opportunity to throw in his leftist politics.
On 07/11/2014 04:56 PM, Frank wrote:

And you can't help like the guy despite it too. Leftists are not much into the open exchange of ideas now-a-days. In my childhood, they use to love debate. Not anymore. And open debate is necessary for a republic to survive. Higgs will let you discuss alternate opinion to an extent. Better than most. Most just start flinging names, meaning they don't got nothing and they just lost the debate. Higgs is a good sport most of the time.
Yesterday, I introduced the cute little fellow (the Wabbit, not Higgs) to Walmart's own, 89 cent per bottle, Louisiana Hot Sauce. Cheapest one I could find. (It smells bad too. I'd never put it on food.) Hit him with cayenne powder on Tuesday. No sign of the wabbit so far.
I bought it from a friendly employee at Walmart who had voluntarily accepted work at Walmart, rather than sucking off the public tit.
Walmart is a great place for those with no work experience and no skills to start working their way up. It is also great for retirees that need to kill some time and/or supplement their income. Someone told me off the record at the local Walmart that they are having trouble finding employees that will pass the drug test.
On Friday, July 11, 2014 4:56:45 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

Now we learn that paying workers a decent wage rather than exploiting people who have no alternative is "leftist politics".
You learn something new every day!
What's NOT new is that some people think they are better than their fellows. Almost makes you wish there was some being Up There handing out justice.
HB
HB
On 07/11/2014 07:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You get paid what the market will bear. And you only seem to care if the shop is non-union. And, yes it is "leftist politics". You are told who to hate. And it really doesn't matter what they pay. Just who is and who isn't union. And no one thinks they are better than anyone else, that is just more slurs.
On 7/12/2014 12:58 AM, Todd wrote:

HB's bunnies are welcome to share his carrots equally even though they had nothing to do with their production ;)
On Friday, July 11, 2014 9:58:36 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

?? What makes you reach that conclusion? Quote please.
And, yes it is "leftist politics".

How embarrassing!
HB
On 07/12/2014 06:47 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Just read your own stuff.

It is only embarrassing that you let others tell you who to hate.
On 7/11/2014 10:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Right, God made me better than most and I took advantage of it. It was not my fault.
On 12/07/2014 12:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Yebbut the 3 US posters other than you who are in this thread would be considered to be on the extreme rabid right in other first world countries.
The US has long had a bad reputation for exploitation of workers. It wasn't always so and at one time it had a fine history but not since WWII at least. Low wages paid in the US get very bad comments and press here from tourists and the media. Wal-mart has been one of the companies mentioned but not the only one.
In addition tourists gripe where tips are expected to be handed over after any form of service provision. Employers who expect customers to pay for both goods received and then service provided by their employee rather than them pay a proper wage are considered to be exploitative.
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:07:28 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:

I wrote a longish post basically agreeing with you and citing some bits of history that got us to where we are, then I lost it.

It is very painful to have lived through better times and see one's beloved country losing its soul.
HB
On 13/07/2014 3:21 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. You can at least take comfort in knowing that at least the residents of your country can manage to elect a President who seems like a decent human being. Sad tough about all the vitriolic comments that are sent his way - no doubt due to him dusky skin colour and the red colour of the necks of those who make such comments.
You should see the creep we have heading up our country at the moment, and none of his hangers on seem to be any better. I never used to feel ashamed of my country but increasingly that is how I am feeling.