Purple salvia life?

We have have had purple salvia as a perennial in the garden for 20 years. In the last 2 years the first bloom was a beautiful, vibrant purple. But even when deadheading, the next blooms aren't as big or as colorful. Is there a life cycle for the plant? I'd like to have the vibrant purple all summer.