Pruning prunus

I have two Prunus Lusitanica (Portuguese Cherry Laurel) growing way too happily. After six years they are too tall for their location. Since these big bushes branch off a central trunk, I'm reluctant to top them, lest it distort the plant in some unattractive way.
How are these bushes properly pruned?
Sorry for the bother.
I have put together a website on pruning. before I link it to the dictionary I was hoping someone could review this for me. I am still working on the section on branches and cracks. I will be getting some pictures of cracks to add. I would really appreciate this. Any feed back is welcome.
the web can be found at: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/index.html

I have only quickly perused your site, Mr. Keslick, but it looks good, reads well, and rock on to you for caring enough to make the effort. Hurrah for a tree man who thinks, and has consideration for trees. Carry on!
Prunus is a sensitive tree as far as internal response to pruning. It is what we call a C tree. See a C tree here http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/branch_pro_zone/index.html