Pruning peach tree in summer?

My peach tree gave me 5 bushels of fruit, not counting the fruit which fell on the ground and was eaten by squirrels. They were fabulous. My problem is that, there are a few large scaffold arms which have invaded the patio where I put my greenhouse during the winter. I have to remove a rather large limb. Should I do it now, or wait till cold weather? Keep in mind, cold weather may never come, only less light. The ground never freezes here, but..well, I was just wondering how it would affect the tree if I prune off a large limb now.

escapee

Wait until the tree drops its leaves before pruning. While I haven't seen snow in over 10 years and the ground here NEVER freezes, we do get night frosts in the winter. Serious pruning now can cause new growth that could be damaged by frost. At the minumum, the new growth would occur just as the tree is getting ready to go dormant. It's the lack of winter dormancy (caused by freezing temperatures) that shortens the life of a peach tree in my climate.

When you do prune, use white glue to seal large cuts (not pruning paint).

Reply to
David Ross

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Meaning, since I live in a summer climate where things go dormant? Is that your reasoning? It was mine too. I really only have to remove one rather large limb or I can't put up the greenhouse and that is not an option.

escapee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Prune now, pay attention to pruning just outside the branch collar. Monitor the pruned area and don't let any suckers develop -rub them off with your thumb. If you are removing a large limb reduce the weight on the limb before making your final cuts so as not to tear the bark.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Thanks guys. I am going to prune it out this weekend. Our first frost is not expected for another three months, or more, so I am safe if new growth develops. Here, most trees and turf go dormant at this time of year. It's not a true dormancy, but nothing grows till the rains return next month.

I'm on my way out into the heat!

escapee