Propagating english box

Hi,

I have a partial hedge along the side of my house in english box. I would like to complete the hedge using the same species but haven't had any luck trying to propagate them. I've tried two methods throughout different seasons of the year but none successfully. I've tried:

Putting 6'' cuttings in water and leaving them on the shelf in the sun Using rooting hormone and placing them in split coke bottles filled with potting mix

I live in Australia, Victoria, and it's summer here now. Can anyone tell me how to get this to work?

Cheers,

Reply to
crmay

The message from "crmay" contains these words:

The usual UK method is, no rooting hormone required. Put a single close line of box cuttings an inch or so apart straight into the ordinary garden soil, in a sheltered lightly shaded cool position (empty part of the veg plot perhaps), and water well. Don't feed them, don't let them get completely dry. Put in more cuttings than you need. Some will die, but enough of them should be well rooted plants in a years time, then you can transplant them to wherever you want the hedge.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough