Problem with new sod and rainy weather

I live in Alberta, Canada. I had plan to lay sod on my empty lot, but because of rain and cold weather (9 C) I have manage to put sod on part of my lot. There are areas that I cannot walk on as they are so much muddy. Walking on these areas causes unevent surfaces. I have got sods two days ago, and for the last two days there have been continuouse rain. I was told that I could wait for 2-3 days till soil becomes solid so I can put the sod. However, some body told me that I need to lay sod ASAP as waiting for good condition can harm the sod. The temperaure would be close to 16 C for the next couple of days and overcast. What do you think? Any advice.

thanks a lot

Reply to
FardinA

As long as the unlaid sod stays moist in shade, it should be fine.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Won't the sod go bad quickly if it is stacked on a pallet, even in moist shade? I though it would just start composting after a few days.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Depends on how long it sat between being cut, and delivered. Eventually it'll either dry-out and die, or it'll start sending roots between layers. But if you can unroll it without it falling apart, see green blades, and the soil hasn't completely dried-out, it should be fine.

However, if the place where it's going to be laid is going to take 2 or

3 days to dry out after even a heavy rain, then the bigger problem is the site, not the sod. I can understand it being spongy enough that you can't walk directly on it without leaving foot prints of compacted soil behind, but you should be able to unroll the sod, and walk on the sod itself as you're placing it. If the base is so soft and wet that the sod doesn't dissipate the weight of a human, either that human needs to go on a diet, or you're never going to be able to even think about walking on the lawn after watering it.
Reply to
Warren