please help with shore planting recommendation

We live on a freshwater lake lot. The prior owner cleared the bank and I am concerned about erosion as we plan on living here forever (or longer :-) ). We are prevented by local rules from putting down riprap or seawalls. So, I want to plant something to help control the erosion. I am seeking advice on what to plant. The target plant should be:

- Low maintenance. (I'm lazy.)

- A long-living perennial. (I certainly don't want to have to do this regularly.)

- Deer resistant. (We have lots of deer (and other wildlife) in the area, and something that isn't deer resistant will get eaten before it has a chance!)

- Be low growing. Preferably something that will not grow to be more than a few feet or so tall. (We don't want to block our view of the lake.)

- Able to grow in a variety of shade conditions. I think during the summer this area will get full sun. But in the fall, it may be shaded by the trees.

- Not have thorns. (I hate them.)

- Capable of growing in dry and moist soil. I hope to plant these on the bank only a very short distance from the edge of the lake. I guess the soil may be dry there for a couple of years, but as the lake reaches the plants the soil may become more moist.

I live in South Carolina in zone 7-8. The soil seems to be a layer of topsoil over clay on the bank, but the lake bottom is sandy soil.

I have 0 gardening skill (or less), and any advice greatly appreciated!!! Arden

Reply to
Arden

Louisiana iris. come in all different colors. they spread by themselves. I gave a clump to my MIL and over a few years they spread nicely. they arent hard to pull out either. they will grow right up onto the bank. they got deer and turkeys up the ying yang that ate everything else but didnt bother the iris. Ingrid

"Arden" wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

I understand this is fairly low maintenance.

grow about 6' tall and wide. How high is your house standing? Don't want to block your view.

BetsyB

They grow in sand on the beaches all along the East coast of the USA.

You could go by the beach in your state and find some and save the seeds. Good project for summer time.

Reply to
betsyb