Please Help Need, Advice

A friend of mine lost his father last week. My girl-friend and I wanted to give his family the gift of a tree that would help to remind him of his father. Is there a tree that is used as a memorial, or used to ease loss or grieving? Or, is there a tree that blossoms around the end of August? That way the flowers might serve to mark the time, each year.
My friend lives in Pasadena, CA. We'd like something well suited for a warm, dry climate.
Although we are not rich, money is not really an issue.
Thanks for your consideration.
Ken
On 31 Aug 2005 22:19:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Trees blooming this time of year
Crape myrtle, Lagerstromeria indica some of the smaller eucalyptus, might be Eucalyptus leucoxylon megacarpa
both good in So. Cal, both good near homes, don't get too large.

for Pasadina, this is a good nursery, I'd check there:
http://www.burkards.com /
Thanks for the advice. We checked out Burkards, but decided to go with another nursery called Armstrong. We did go with the Crape Myrtle, however, the Tuscarora.
Ken