Planting Snowdrops

I was given a potted Snowdrop plant and would like to plant it out in my garden, if possible. The tag reads "Bright indirect light, 50 - 65 degrees F, USDA zones 3-7. I'm in Zone 9. Is there any way to successfully grow Snowdrops in my California garden?
-Fleemo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

No. Their chill requirements are difficult to provide artificially, & without the surprisingly large root system together with bulb experiencing a good long cold winter in the ground, they will never bloom again.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Thanks Paghat.
Can they be grown successfully as a houseplant, or should I just dump 'em in the compost heap?
-F
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Janet's idea to plant them anyway & see what happens is probably worth the effort, they won't take up much room. I wouldn't count on seeing anything but their leaves in the future but plants sometimes fool ya & do well where they weren't supposed to.
-paggers
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
My thanks to all of you kind folks for your input. I will plant 'em out in a shady spot and hope for the best. :)
-Fleemo
from snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) contains these words:

I thought Zone 9 went down to 20 F? Snowdrops do perfectly well in some mild areas of the UK which don't get any colder then 20F. They would still get three UK winter months mostly below 50F, though, maybe that's enough cooling.
Composting them will kill them for sure :-); I'd plant them and see what happens.
Janet.
from snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net contains these words:

I don't see why not , or why the label says 50 F.. they happily survived -25 C in my last garden. In their native Turkey they survive winter freezes and very hot dry summers, but are so adaptable and easy they've naturalised all across Europe in cool damp climates. Deciduous woodland floors covered in naturalised snowdrops are one of the glories of spring here.
I'd plant them out now in good deep soil under trees or shrubs. They do particularly well on woodland slopes if you have one available, and multiply quickly.
Janet (Scotland)

On the other hand, I can only envy your ability to overwinter tender bulbs, especially begonias. Pure white begonias put Galanthus to shame.