Plant thief!

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) in

that is scraping the bottom of the barrel. could'nt they make more money finding pennies and bent nails with a metal detector?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
or maybe they could steal that red lava rock (pumice) along with bits of black plastic, and the oxalis and spurge seeds.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I've had this happen in my backyard, so it is possible an animal did it, but not likely. People have been sucking for a long time. It's a very difficult thing to live with and be sane and happy.
On 28 Apr 2004 09:51:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Genevieve) opined:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
snipped-for-privacy@thebestplace2be.org wrote:

but not

difficult thing

I'd agree a BRAND NEW planting not yet rooted into its hole & perhaps having some kind of fishy odor to it from the grower's over-use of fertilizer, a dog might indeed snap it right out of the ground & run off with it. Still, if it was a flowery little clump, I vote it was a yellow-fingered piece of white trash who needed it for her one-square-yard garden in front of her rental in the crowded trailer court alongside the railroad tracks. At least the victim of the theft has the consolation of knowing the thief has to live her white trash thieve's life & is pretty regularly beaten black & blue by her unemployable alcoholic boyfriend/half-brother.
-paghat the ratgirl

‚úĖ
escapee wrote:

I've had it happen too - and the perp was a little old lady who even pulled plants on her walk home from church on Sunday!
cheers,
Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert /
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden /

Last summer I found a cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) (protected by state law here) on state land (a natural area, where ALL plants found are protected by state law). I returned to show my girlfriend that night, as she'd never seen a cardinal flower. Someone had cut the entire flower stalk, and taken the flowers.
Whoever did it borke two laws, including the one protecting threatened plants in this state.
I assume it was kids, who wanted to take the flowers home to their parents. I sincerely hope the parents try and educate the kids on why not to do that, but expect instead they'll tell the kids how nice the flowers are.
Since they took the whole plant in your case, I doubt it was kids. Personally, I would add half-buried mousetraps to any plants you assume are in danger of being stolen. Perhaps the screams will catch a thief. (notice - do not actually do this, as they're likely to then vandalize your house if they're not caught).
-
theoneflasehaddock
Add pictures here
‚úĖ