PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown

I need some help on this one as I can not seem to identify it. Most fungi that I can not identify, I just let pass and move on but this picture was just too striking not to share it.
js
Jack Schmidling wrote:

It looks remarkably like our new park lamps: http://www.dtna.org/playgroundlamps.html
B/

Maybe Pilobus?
Daniel B. Wheeler
It's referred to as a "hat thrower" fungus. Open this link and read the caption. It sounds exactly like what you found.
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroom/English/Species/piloboluskleinii.html
-Cathy

LOL ! "Your parents will be delighted with your interest in science!"
interesting though,
Kathi

That is fascinating. We need to do a science section this year. hmmm

that thing does look friggin awesome

I wonder if anyone has ever photographed one blowing its top?

I've seen films of Pilobolus popping its spore mass, and I think I recall seeing a film of Sphaerobolus doing the same thing. If I filmed either I would use a very high-speed medium so I could try to time it (if that is possible).