PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown

I need some help on this one as I can not seem to identify it. Most fungi that I can not identify, I just let pass and move on but this picture was just too striking not to share it.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

It looks remarkably like our new park lamps:

Brian Mailman

Daniel B. Wheeler

Reply to
dwheeler

It's referred to as a "hat thrower" fungus. Open this link and read the caption. It sounds exactly like what you found.

cb

LOL ! "Your parents will be delighted with your interest in science!"

interesting though,

Kathi

Reply to
Kathi Jones

That is fascinating. We need to do a science section this year. hmmm

Reply to
cooksalot

that thing does look friggin awesome

Reply to
MushOMouth

I wonder if anyone has ever photographed one blowing its top?

Reply to
Amos Nomore

I've seen films of Pilobolus popping its spore mass, and I think I recall seeing a film of Sphaerobolus doing the same thing. If I filmed either I would use a very high-speed medium so I could try to time it (if that is possible).

Reply to
Armillaria caligata