PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Duckweed

Page 2 of 2

Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures.
Mindful wrote:

For some reason I never saw the original post.
Jack, if you're reading this, put a few large goldfish in the pond and the duckweed will disappear -- slowly at first.
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:
> For some reason I never saw the original post.
Thanks for the headsup. This was plaguing for a long time so for several years I have been posting through Google Groups. This was sort of a test sent via my isp news server and you have confirmed that the problem still exists.
Anyway, it's hard to believe goldfish will eat this but it's certainly worth a try. Do you suppose the garden variety would be hardy in N Illinois?
js
Jack as long as your pond is 24" deep or more (and it looks like it is) your goldfish will be fine in the winter, just keep some kind of pump going for water movement to keep the surface from freezing over to prevent the buildup of poisonous gases. They go to the bottom in winter. Comet goldfish will be fine and they can come in all different colors. Very hardy. I got some small ones last summer and they have grown longer than my hand now. A couple even let me "pet" them and hand feed. Enjoy! Elaine

:nod: Jack--I loved your site. You and wife are such clowns Cannot imagine anyone not enjoying all your pictures Much love to you tonight karen in Missour