PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ducks Work

I am delighted to report that ducks really do eat Duckweed. These guys remind me of the ADM TV commercials with rows of tandem combines cutting through endless fields of wheat.
js
-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com
Jack Schmidling wrote:

When I was an undergraduate at Oregon State I worked for the ARS Plant Materials Center and they grew among other things Duckweed to seed out for waterfowl.
--

Rick
Fargo, ND
Rick wrote:

It's nice to know that a common name means something. In this case, well named.
js

Richard Mabey's -Flora Britannica- has an interesting entry for duckweed. In some parts of England it is personified as ' Jenny Greenteeth," a hag who lures children to death by drowning by covering the surface of ponds so thickly they appear to be solid ground.
J. Del Col

My dog fell for that (literally) a few years ago. We were walking along a sluggish river that was completely covered with duckweed. The dog saw something on a small island and went bounding toward it. Was she ever surprised when she discovered the green area was water and not land. Jenny Greenteeth had chosen a faulty spot for her trap, as the water was only a foot or so deep.
--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)