Peeled Tree Bark and Protection?

Hello! I live in Ohio state, and I have a red Japanese Maple which is about 11 feet tall, and part of the tree bark has been peeled off. It is a thin, long stretch peel off, from close to ground, and extend about 1 feet long with a width of 2 inches.
Some of maple tree branch has been completely dead, no new buds for over a year, while majority still growing in good health. I am thinking a way to protect my maple tree, especially the exposed part after the bark peel off. My idea is either to pain it with white primer, or water-based latex paint; or, get some adhesive tape to cover the exposed tree trunk.
Should I even need something like a tree sealant to kill all the potential molds and diseases? Is this sealant all that I need to spray on the exposed trunk and avoid all the troubles of painting and adhesive tapes ?
Just worry the expose tree trunk will become an ideal bed for diseases, mold, or insects! Any feedback is appreciated!
TheGreatWarrior wrote:

Just leave it alone. Trying to seal it will only seal in any potential pathalogical organisms.

USDA Zone 8
The only thing you need do is trim away any ragged edges with a sharp knife or chisel. Use no paints or sealants.