Pear trees need a pair for pollination

Even without a partridge, a pear tree can add a special touch of beauty to almost any landscape. But, depending on your needs =96 ornamental or fruiting - you should do a little research before you plant.

QUESTION: =93I have been told you need two pear trees to produce fruit. I just planted an ornamental pear, FLW Cleve Select. My neighbor just across the road was told if you have another pear tree within a half mile, that would work for the second tree. He wants to plant a pear tree. My question: will my ornamental work for his "second" pear tree if he plants a fruit bearing pear or does he need two of his own? Thanks for your time and help.=94 -- Mickey VanSickle

ANSWER: Ornamental flowering pears will not work to cross pollinate fruiting pear trees. When planting a fruiting pear tree, a second variety of a pear tree should be planted within about 300 feet for cross pollination. The two fruiting pear varieties should either bloom at the same time or overlap their blooming period. Otherwise, pollination will not occur.

QUESTION: =93I have a Cleveland pear tree and half of the leaves are dead-looking and brown colored. Any idea what is causing this problem? Your help is appreciated.=94 =96 John Young

ANSWER: It sounds as if your tree is showing signs of stress. A few things that you will want to check are: Fire blight Freeze damage Frost damage Wind damage Over/under watering Borers Residue from chemicals sprayed in the area

These are probably the most common reasons for pear trees to show stress. You can narrow the list by eliminating any that you know definitely could not be responsible. When you=92ve narrowed the list, you might want to take a sample twig or a photo to a garden center or better still, call your nearest Ag Extension Service, as they might be knowledgeable about any causes specific to your local area. If you need help locating your local Extension Service, drop me an e-mail.

QUESTION: =93I am having a problem with some of my trees that I plant that die due to girdling. The root just goes in a circle and kills itself. What can I do to prevent this?=94 =96 Fran Imlay

ANSWER: For readers who are unfamiliar with the term, girdling refers to the tendency of the roots of some trees to grow tightly around the main stem of the tree and slowly restrict the movement of water and nutrients. As a result, leaves become smaller, paler in color and less dense.

One preventative action is root pruning and/or fraying out the roots of container-grown plants before transplanting.

Here is a link to very helpful online article from the University of Ohio Extension Service about root girdling:

can also click on a direct hot link to that article when you find this column at my Web site,

QUESTION: =93I am wondering if you can suggest to me what to plant in my backyard that seems to be damp and moist most of the time. We are having three of our Austrian pines removed because of the drought last summer. We have been told they are dead. The area is in direct sunlight and the ground area seems to be damp due to a water drop off. What are some good trees or plants to replace in this area? We want something for privacy as well as beauty.=94 -- Vernice

ANSWER: Sorry to hear about your pines, Vernice. I suggest you take a look at the following trees that could be what you need: Maples, bald cypress and river birch. Something you might not have thought of: Growing bamboo and taller growing grasses in larger containers. They provide quick privacy and can be moved around as other plants begin to grow taller. Some other plants that I=92d suggest for your backyard are Canna lilies, Nandina, Hibiscus and laurels. I hope this gives you some ideas to build on.

earl

When planting trees this should be kept in mind:

Reply to
symplastless

Hmm, the yard boy is responding to a professional. How quaint.

Reply to
Don Staples

Reply to
symplastless

Here is a case where both the Plant man and symplastless got it completely wrong. Ornamental Pear trees and Fruiting Pear trees are both the same cultivars, Pyrus. Some Pear trees are self-fertile, like Seckel. Other pear varieties will not act as pollinators for other varieties because of genetic differences. However, in your case, the Ornamental Pear should do fine. There is a very nice chart of which pear trees pollinate eachother at:

Hope this helps,

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

I did not write this.

Reply to
symplastless

You may have not posted the original question and reply, but you did reply to the email with your additional comments. However, you did not correct the original reply, so either you did not see it or you agreed with it. I tend to think it was the later. Do you just look for posting about trees and add your boilerplate without checking the contents?

Sherwin

Reply to
Sherwin

no, that is incorrect. My post regarding the care of fruit trees is here just as I posted. These are the basics. This information is a must for caring for fruit trees. Yes I do post Tree Basic information with respect to the care of trees.

Reply to
symplastless