Peach tree

Our peach tree, suited for our area, has not produced healthy fruit in three years. This year I gave it one more chance. I thinned the fruits early, pruned properly, cleaned up the area beneath the tree, fertilized it at the proper time and the fruit has the clear gunk on them, as well as it oozing out of the tree limbs. The fruit is not getting larger and is mishapen. At what point would you cut the tree down and plant another on the other side of the property?

Reply to
Jangchub

do a google search using the word "Gummosis" it will explain your tree problem

Reply to
beecrofter

The gum exudate is not amber colored, but clear and I can't find any obvious cankers. I also have or had the last two years a problem with brown rot. Most peaches had worms near the stone (these are free stone 'Dixieland' variety).

I have another spot where I can plant another tree so I'll do that this coming February. Too much problems with this and I have no intention on treating it if it requires fungicides. It may even be better to plant one out back where the animals in the yard live so they will stay back there and eat the fruit which falls, instead of coming onto the pool deck to eat the falling fruit. I hate to pick up the falling fruit because the butterflies get drunk on those rotten peaches! Particlarly the Red Admirals.

Reply to
Jangchub

Improper pruning starts many life threatening situations for the symplast of peaches. Improper mulching sets the stage for other issues that result in the effects you have acquired. All of the pesticides in the world will not fix problems associated with improper planting, fertilizing and pruning for peach trees. You also probably suffer from troubles in the rhizosphere.

What elements have you added to the tree?

  1. Can you provide some pictures of the pruning cuts on the trees?
  2. Did you prune the woody roots on the trees before planting?
  3. Did you plant the tree at the depth the woody roots are coming off the trunk?
  4. Was there wounds on the trunk when you bought the tree?

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.

Reply to
symplastless

Charlie Brown's teacher...wopwop wop wah wha whop bwaaaaaa.

Reply to
Jangchub

He's a clown, that Charlie Brown. He's gonna get caught. Just you wait and see.

Reply to
Billy

Couple of questions. Is this a dwarfed tree? How old is it?

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

No, not a dwarf. The variety is a very low chill hourselection because we have such mild winters. I believe it is a 400 chill hour selection. We planted it (I think) five years ago. The trunk is about 10" in diameter and abot 12 feet tall, pruned in an upside down umbrella form. The first year it developed one peach, the second year we harvested 15 bushels of beautiful fruit. It hasn't produced healthy peaches since...for the last 2 or 3 years.

Reply to
Jangchub

Agian I will ask the questions:

Reply to
symplastless

Again: Charlie Brown's teacher...wopwop wop wah wha whop bwaaaaaa.

Reply to
Jangchub

Here in NH (no lack of chill hours here!) when I hear of gung weeping from peach trunks and branches I think of peach tree borer and lesser peach tree borer.

See what our state entomolygist, and all around great guy, says

He has chemical and organic solutions.

Almost any insect infestation will produce weeping from the fruit. You can wade through Alan's newsletters

for lots of useful information.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Thank you, John. I will take a gander and when the foliage falls in the fall I will be able to better inspect the limbs for any possible problems with borers. Such a shame. This tree produced the most lucious, sweet, dripping juicy fruits that anyone on my block has ever eaten. Me included. I do think it's beyond treatment at this point. It is such a mess. I can't find any cankers, and in the fruits I do see holes and mishapen areas. Drat.

Reply to
Jangchub

My first thought that you had an old peach dwarf that has just reached the end of it's productive years. Not your case. My Redhaven peach is about 19 years old, and has ozzed sap for most of that time. It still produces abundant heathy peaches every season. Brown rot can be controlled mostly by good sanitation and removal of affected material. There are also sprays for that. Did you remove another peach tree in this troubled period? Although peaches are generally self-fruitful, they do better with another peach tree in the vicinity to help with pollination. By the way, which cultivar of peach do you have? Sounds like you are getting enough fruit though, but it is spoiling on the tree. The worms in the fruit could be codling moth or something similar. If so, you need to go on a spray schedule of insecticide, starting shortly after pedal fall, and continuing every few weeks until harvest. Codling moth is a difficult one

to control, so pick a strong spray, like Imidan to do the job. Just be sure to take the necessary precautions when using strong sprays, like protective clothing and breathing mask.

Hope this helps,

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu

PEACH trees are a C tree with respect to improper pruning and death of branches. If you do not understand that maybe you need to read MODERN ARBORICULTURE:

People who speak about such trees should be required to dissect them.

The tree walls itself to death with the help of improper pruning, improper planting and improper fertilization.

Reply to
symplastless

That won't happen. Brown rot really can't be controlled. I didn't remove a tree anywhere on the property. The variety is 'Dixieland' and I won't be using a spray program under any circumstances. What the tree is planted there is a shallow level of soil which only goes down about 24 inches before it hits caliche. The tree is most likely not receiving the elements provided because of the pH level of the subsoil. I will plant another tree on the property which has at least

4 feet of topsoil and far enough from the infected tree not to be bothered by whatever is causing this stree. Thanks for the information, but I do not use any pesticdes, not even natural ones.
Reply to
Jangchub

BING BING BING. None of the above applies to my tree. Cuts are appropriate, fertilization is adequate, and I will probably never dissect a tree in my lilfe. Aren't you busy? Don't you work?

Reply to
Jangchub

Peaches can be touchy - no question, but any basic extension service will provide enough information for most *home* gardeners.

Here is one from the Midwest -

are plenty more out there from unis or state or county services in more northern or southern climates. Easy to find.

Really, this isn't rocket science at the home gardener level.

Me? I just started two dwarf Elbertas in huge tubs this year in northern NJ. They will overwinter in the unheated garage come December.

Best case, I get some peaches nest year. Worst case, I have some lovely flowering trees in the spring.

I have more problems with groundhogs going after my blueberries and breaking off branches as they reach up.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

"but I do not use any pesticdes, not even natural ones."

There is your issue. There are many insects, fungi and diseases that attack fruit trees. If you take no measures to deal with them you will have the problems that you are having.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

I know there are "Purists" out there but it is amazing at how they can change their mind at times.

I have a backyard vineyard and make my own wine. Living in in the Mid Atlantic, I HAVE to use fungicides (wine growers in Bordeaux do also ;-) )

I have some "Purists" friends but they never turn down my wine - go figure.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Yeah, I know. It's definitely a blunder, that's for sure. Fortunately I live in a country where food is greatly abundant and I don't depend on one tree for food. I mean that sincerely. Still, I won't use poisons so I have to be willing to accept the outcome.

Reply to
Jangchub