Overseeding with Bermuda?

Can I successfully overseed a centipede lawn with Bermuda? We have centipede and I would like to get rid of it and have bermuda grass. OR, what would kill off the centipede and not harm the bermuda?

Reply to
skubler

Centipede is a bit tougher then bermuda - I'd put my money on the centipede grass. If you want to get rid of it, sterilize the soil. And even then, I won't guarantee that will get rid of it.

Reply to
Zootal

Where do you live? Are you in a drought area? Why are you displeased with Centipede? Why are you selecting Bermuda?

Reply to
Dioclese

I live in Myrtle Beach. The centipede is just not grass to us, more like a weed. My husband selected the Bermuda, it is what we had up north and we liked it.

Reply to
skubler

Oregon or S. Carolina? I'm guessing SC because bermuda won't grow in Oregon, at least not along the coast. Bermuda has been banned in some places because of allergy issues. Check with local regulations before you go out and plant some.

Reply to
Zootal

Since you're in S. Carolina, I suspect Bermuda would be successful there. Rain has been marginal there however. Centipede is a China import. It is pretty much a weed in that it can grow just about any place barring sustained low temperatures. Quick to go dormant due to lack of water. Bermuda.has similar characteristics except it wasn't imported from the other side of the world. So, I don't see a basis for switching to another grass.

Reply to
Dioclese