Next odd question: Papyrus

Okay, after I grow some flax, I'd like to try papyrus. I guess I can't grow it as a perennial in Zone 7 but can it be grown as an annual? Will it grow fast and reach its full potential in my zone or will it not grow properly at all?
On Jan 28, 11:21 am, FragileWarrior

FW True 'paper' Papyrus is Cyperus papyrus, and it is quite tender, zone 10 probably. Yes it can be grown as an annual and does quite well. I would say the hotter your summer, the better. It has done well here in zone 9.
There is another plant, Cyperus alternifolius, Umbrella plant, that is taller and not so delicate looking as papyrus. The books say 40 degrees is its hardiness, but it does fine here into the low 20s. The tops will freeze to the ground at that temp. but it will survive. However I doubt even it would survive zone 7, unless you move it inside. Since both plants grow in soil or water, you could keep it in a container of water and move it inside.
As far as using it to make paper, well , I don't know?? maybe a note card's worth.... (When I was in 5th grade, in SoCal, we made paper from papyrus) Are you going to make linen from the flax? Emilie NorCal

I think it gets pretty hot and humid here in Indiana although I'm comparing this area to where I lived previously (Buffalo, NY) and sitting between two Great Lakes was always pretty comfortable. Sometimes I think the heat and humidity here is killer. I'm told by folks who know warmer climates that it's not THAT bad.

I fell in love with the look (and size) of papyrus, ttytt, but that one is pretty close. The propagation is interesting. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the bog conditions both plants like. I guess I'm going to have to set up a plant pond.

Now that I *would* try. I have been a papermaker in my past and wouldn't mind trying some papyrus paper. Might be fun. Even if I only got a teeny bit of paper out of it.
Thanks, Emilie!
I grow dwarf papyrus in a pot in my outdoor pond but bring it inside in the winter. Even if it dies back because it is a very cool space, it comes back. It seems to like being cut back. It's kind of fun to see how the plant propagates by growing plantlets on its seed heads. Carolyn Carolyn