Mystery Animal Damaging my Lawn

In the last few days, an animal of some kind has been making its way across my garden and those of the three houses next to me. It has tunnelled under the fence leaving a hole that might allow a small terrier to pass through. It makes small round holes in the lawn. These are about one inch in diameter and roughly an inch deep. Whether it does this in a search for food, I can't tell. They don't look like tracks.
The animal seems to be nocturnal as the holes appear overnight and we haven't yet seen the culprit. Does anyone have any idea what this is?
GDMc
--
NORTHDUK

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:13:44 +0000, NORTHDUK <northduk(OMIT

It may be a skunk looking for grubs.
Boron

Those holes are much too small to be made by a wombat.
FarmI wrote:

Lucky we are able to rule that out then. It could still be a bunyip.

With that in mind, what has Australia done to stop continental drift, hmmm? With "Global Warming" the Earth's mantel is getting softer and less viscous, thereby promoting continental drift. You know what I'm talkin' about. It'd just be typical if Australia floated in some night, just off Seattle, unloaded it compliment of undocumented wombats and bunyips, and then cruised back to where it belongs (just to the right of the Indian Ocean) by morning. (I've heard that there are even pictures on the internet that shows Australia on hydro-foils.) Then they would say, "'Ou me?" And then act all innocent like. This is the sort of thing that keeps our "Fatherland Security" defenders up at night.
Take action, and "STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT" for garden's sake.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

--
Doghouse Riley

LOL. I vote for a Dragon. I've always wanted a Dragon on my lawn.

I get the same thing here in NJ USA.
I guess skunk or raccoon.
No permanent damage to the lawn.
--
Dan Espen

NORTHDUK;933376 Wrote: > The animal seems to be nocturnal as the holes appear overnight and we > haven't yet seen the culprit. Does anyone have any idea what this is?
Helps to know where in the world you are, so that lemurs can also be ruled out, etc. My guess is that you are in Britain and the cause is badgers. They are quite flat and will get through a surprisingly low hole. They will dig for grubs.
--
echinosum

echinosum;933425 Wrote: > Helps to know where in the world you are, so that lemurs can also be > ruled out, etc.

--
NORTHDUK