Mulching leaves into lawn...?

Page 2 of 2

I rake my leaves, not much, and the neighbors, big pile, on my beds after they freeze up, which is very soon. Waiting like this gives less habitat to the mice and more constant conditions to the bulbs. By June the leaves have vanished.
For my lawn I rake in black compost right after the thaw. My lawn is nice and green all year this way. (I stopped using chemical lawn amendments three years ago.) In fact there is a sharp green line between me and the neighbor!

Isn't that fun? I had the same situation with the lawn at my prior house, except I never had enough compost to share between vegetables & grass. But, I didn't bag the grass, and I mowed it as high as the mower could go. My neighbor, on the other hand, was a ChemLawn addict, and mowed his lawn like it was a putting green. Mine looked gorgeous, and his looked like it was close to death, except for 2 weeks in the Spring. He was constantly coming over and asking me what secret stuff I was using. He refused to believe that the answer was "nothing". This went on for 10 years. The dummy never learned.
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:03:48 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I have a similar neighbor. He asks how my lawn is so thick, green, and free from weeds. I tell him I mulch mow high and often and overseed in the fall. He continues to scalp his lawn, dumps the clippings into the stream, it's full of crab grass, has bare spots, etc. He bought the same kind of mower I use--still he doesn't have a clue.

I should add that now that I'm divorced, my teenage son has taken over the mowing chores. The neighbor now interrogates *him* about our deep, dark secret. My son, who inherited my evil mind, has two ideas, both of which I condone completely:
1) Come up with some sort of concoction that's harmless to people, plants and cats, and give the neighbor the recipe. Tell him it's what we use, and that when he used to see me out at night having a cigarette, I was preparing to apply the stuff with a spray bottle. Sample recipe: A strained broth made after boiling broccolli stems, dogwood bark and <fill in the blank>. Maybe Band-Aids.
2) One part of our lawn consisted of 50% bindweed at certain times of year. Awful weed, but when the grass was suffering in hot weather, the bindweed was rockin', so at least it was soft and green. My son wants to give the neighbor a few diggings of bindweed, and tell him it helps keep nitrogen available to the lawn.
If you've ever inquired at a cooperative extension about getting rid of bindweed, they'll tell you that you need to use chemicals which make agent orange look like herb tea. :-)

Now this is malicious and is probably actionable in court. In fact it breaks some laws about proliferation of noxious weeds. Since you published this in this thread, you can't plead ignorance and deny malice.
Field bindweed is a declared plant (noxious weed) throughout Western Australia and many other places. It is illegal to grow it and any plants found must be destroyed.
University of Nebraska recommends fall is an excellent time to apply herbicides for control of perennial weeds like Canada thistle, field bindweed and leafy spurge. Oregon State University agrees with this and suggests that application timing be about 1 week prior to the first frost.

We don't apply herbicides. They can't be tested for safety according to good scientific practices.

Are you saying that boiling water isn't safe??? It is one of the oldest herbicides known to mankind. Others include the absence of light and fire, both of which have been used for centuries. It is possible to kill plants safely even if you are afraid of more complex chemicals.

When we bought the house we're in now, it had serious drainage problems in the back yard. Any heavy rain would result in a sheet of water sweeping across the yard and down toward the house (yes, it's Florida, but it has some slope nonetheless), with often a large pool between our house and the next door neighbor. Oh, and sometimes it hit the crawl space access door and ran under the house.
Doesn't happen any more.
Oh, at first we built a bit of a berm to divert the flow away from the house. And we had gutters put on the house and piped the water to the ditch, which helped some with the pools.
But mostly what I did was the same as you: nothing. Didn't hire a yard man to come in with his boom-boom tractor mower every week and scalp the yard to within an inch of its life (like the previous owner and probably the one before her). Didn't go woosh woosh with a leaf blower and take away the dead leaves and cut grass and other organic material. Let the weeds grow where the ground had been made bare by mowing where no grass grew anyway. And lo and behold, after a year or so, the rain no longer ran off. Am I not a genius? That or lazy.
Oh, I want to get rid of the grass. I'm trying to kill it. I have too much shade for a good lawn. I'd rather have flower beds and bushes and use some liriope where I need ground cover. But the principle is the same.
Edward
interesting... did I read it on here that earthworms arent native to the US? and that the earthworm activity in forests is overworking the soil in forests leading to lower fertility. Ingrid