Meadow Scaping

We live in northeast Michigan in a wooded area. The house is located on ten acres with too much grass to cut. A friend of ours suggested meadow scaping much of the yard to eliminate the grass. Is there a source on how to accomplish this task.
I understand it is a question of turning over the grass area and planting special ground covers and other flowering perennial plants. Would like to obtain more detail if available.