Marrows - Female Flowers?

Hi

I have several marrow plants which have lots of male flowers, but no females (with fruits) - have I done something wrong or am I just be impatient?

Many thanks

Sue

Reply to
Sue S

You are being impatient. Many Cucurbitaceae will produce male flowers before the female flowers.

In the wild, such a strategy encourages out-breeding with other plants (and genetic diversity) but frustrates the impatient gardener expecting fruit.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

How exactly can you tell the difference between the males and females? The Marrows in my boxes are starting to flower at only three feet high. last year they grew 6 feet before they started flowering which was in September. I can't figure out what I did differently other than using a wildflower seed mix from a different vendor. I was hoping they'd grow to

6 feet this year too.
Reply to
Mark Anderson

I have a related question that came up on another newsgroup -- how do you distinguish between marrows and zucchini/courgettes?

Reply to
Steve Hayes

Size matters. DC

Reply to