Low Voltage Lighting

Apologies in advance of this is an inappropriate place to post this question, however here I go.
I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.
There are 6 lights linked by 15m of low voltage cable which connects into a black transformer.
I have outside power sockets which this transformer plugs into, however, the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.
This is a pain as I have to disconnect and bring the transformer inside everytime I am finished using it.
It seems crazy that lights purchased for outdoor use come with a transformer which cannot sit outside.
Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin
That is strange. You could place a birdhouse (with the bottom removed) over the transformer to protect it from the elements. Make sure there is adequate ventilation. Check it from time to time to keep it clean from debris and insect nests.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:19:32 -0000, "Kevin Ashcroft"

"...........That is strange. You could place a birdhouse (with the bottom removed) over the transformer to protect it from the elements. Make sure there is adequate ventilation. Check it from time to time to keep it clean from debris and insect nests. ........"
and birds nests.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

I can think of two options: 1) drill a hole in the house wall and run the wire through 2) build some sort of box to go over/round the transformer. It will need insulating against the wet
Maybe someone else has a better idea....... Jenny

I don't know what the regulations are in England, but to me it seems like a bad idea to leave anything especially a bulky transformer plugged in outside. The problem with enclosures is if your insulating it from the elements, you're more likely than not trapping heat. Personally, I'd run additional cable to meet the length and leave it plugged in in indoors and not bother with the outside outlet or enclosure.
But you might have better luck asking some place like alt.home.repair or the DIY shop where you purchased it.

or does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the

stones to avoid it blowing away would do. -- Chris Thomas West Cork Ireland
"Cerumen" wrote in message after Kevin

problems with heavy rain causing lying water to flood back under the cover.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...

-- Chris Thomas West Cork Ireland

the transformer is plugged in. So you need to cover the entire Socket and protect it. What I've done is to fix a tupperware type box with the socket inside it, the transformer lead runs into it from the bottom (a small slot) then the lid clicked back on.
the Q

I have Noma yard lights and have left the transformer outside for the past decade without a problem. It is protected from the rain, that's all.
If you don't have a sheltered spot just make up a little box or lid of some kind to keep it dry.

You should be able to craft one from a tupperware container.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Purchased ours at Walmart. The transformer is outside just built a little sloping roof to cover it. This has been working for the past 4 years. No problems.

Let's keep in mind the OP is in England or Europe somewhere, and theire "regular" outlets, called "Mains" because they're all 220v except for the "shaver" outlet in the bathrooms.
Outdoor "mains" are not common there, which is why a garden light kit sold in England will recommend placement of the transformer INSIDE, and may not be waterproof.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:19:32 -0000, "Kevin Ashcroft"

You can get transformers which will sit outside, but you would have to be certain that it gave exactly the right power supply. Easy enough if you read the specs on the side of the thing, but you would probably have to accept that the warranty would be void as you were not using the 'approved' power supply.
I have seen enclosures that look like a green plastic rugby ball. These are designed to fit around the socket end of power extension cords, so you run the extension out into the garden, plug in [whatever], then clip the rugby ball around the plug+socket to (more or less) waterproof the assembly. If your transformer will fit inside these things, that would probably do the trick - frost might be a problem, but I suspect the real issue is that the transformer is not guaranteed waterproof.
(I saw these enclosures in the Brondesbury park garden centre in Cardigan, Wales, but I doubt that is convenient for you!) Please remove "brain." before emailing me. "Thtrap it to the bench and put a good thick bolt of lightning through it, that'th our motto. That'th how you /tetht/ thomething!" - Igor