Leyland Cypress disease (fast growing etc.)

We recently lost 4 Leyland Cypress to a disease which no one could diagnose. I don't know if I would plant these again. Jackie
Jackie: Where are you? What are the symptoms and the timeline of their onset? Did you lose 4 of 4?? How large / old were they? What is next to them in their immediate growing environment? How are they watered?
And...what makes you sure they had a disease if no one else could diagnose same??
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
NJDEP Approved Forester

screen in one area. After reading a number of website, it was my conclusion that Leyland Cypress was not reliably hearty in zone 6. I am not surprised that it isn't doing well in zone 5.
Try Arizona cypress for a screen, really beautiful, and grow as fast as leylands but way prettier. I have both and dearly love the Arizonas.
Gloria

screen in one area. After reading a number of website, it was my conclusion that Leyland Cypress was not reliably hearty in zone 6. I am not surprised that it isn't doing well in zone 5.
Especially the Arizona Cypress 'Blue Ice'. A very nice variety, nice contrasting color that stands out nicely, just like a Colorado Blue Spruce. Very similar colors. It's still a little hard to find. I ordered mine off Forest Farms website.
Richard

Our leyland cypress were at least 7 to 8 years old, quite tall and growing in the back of the yard (in zone7, North Carolina.) and were watered by my husband when nec., the rain, a sprinkler system which came to about 10 feet from them. Over a period of about 3 years the east side of the plants began turning brown and getting bare. We took samples to the local Agriculture dept, they could find nothing. We went to many nurseries. We followed everyone's advice, as the brownness was gradually enveloping the east side of all the plants. Then it began on the front, and we could tell they were all doomed. No one had been able to name the disease or a proper cure. They were removed. Nothing else in our yard was made ill. We have gardenias, camellias, ROS, privet, crepe myrtle, oak trees, dogwood tree,Japanese Maple etc. and nothing else was affected. We have more Leyland Cypress adjacent to this area and so far one branch of one tree has gone brown, this tree was right next to a sick one which was removed. We cut the branch off, the rest seem OK up to now. I wondered if since they are fast growing, we had just witnessed the end of their life cycle. The adjacent group is now 5 years old and thriving so far. Jackie
talking about. They started

The species is known to be prone to diseases. Take a look at this page:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Ornamental/odin17/od17.htm
Mike Prager On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Mike Prager wrote:

It is not prone to diseases here in our climate.

USDA Zone 8
Try Thuja 'Green Giant' - they are hardy, pest-free, fast growers. They do get huge, though: 30-50 feet high, 8 - 10' wide.
Wayside Gardens carries them, as do others.
http://www.waysidegardens.com