Leyland Cypress disease (fast growing etc.)

We recently lost 4 Leyland Cypress to a disease which no one could diagnose. I don't know if I would plant these again. Jackie

Reply to
J. Davidson

Jackie: Where are you? What are the symptoms and the timeline of their onset? Did you lose 4 of 4?? How large / old were they? What is next to them in their immediate growing environment? How are they watered?

And...what makes you sure they had a disease if no one else could diagnose same??

Reply to
Mike LaMana

I planted 20 leylands last spring from Home Depot. They seemed to make it through the winter, but now, most seem to be dying. I thought it was wind burn, but its not. I think I know what she is talking about. They started dying right after the last snow storm here in early april. Zone 5. I am seeing the tips of the plant getting very tan looking, then dying off completely.

Reply to
Jack

I have done some research on Leyland Cypress because I am in need of a good screen in one area. After reading a number of website, it was my conclusion that Leyland Cypress was not reliably hearty in zone 6. I am not surprised that it isn't doing well in zone 5.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Try Arizona cypress for a screen, really beautiful, and grow as fast as leylands but way prettier. I have both and dearly love the Arizonas.

Gloria

I have done some research on Leyland Cypress because I am in need of a good screen in one area. After reading a number of website, it was my conclusion that Leyland Cypress was not reliably hearty in zone 6. I am not surprised that it isn't doing well in zone 5.

Reply to
Gloria

Reply to
J. Davidson

The species is known to be prone to diseases. Take a look at this page:

Mike Prager On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Reply to
Travis

Try Thuja 'Green Giant' - they are hardy, pest-free, fast growers. They do get huge, though: 30-50 feet high, 8 - 10' wide.

Wayside Gardens carries them, as do others.

fran

Especially the Arizona Cypress 'Blue Ice'. A very nice variety, nice contrasting color that stands out nicely, just like a Colorado Blue Spruce. Very similar colors. It's still a little hard to find. I ordered mine off Forest Farms website.

Richard

Reply to
Richard