Leaf Miners in my Columbine

Hello
I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But my whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any way of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, BC

my
way
Its too late to do treat the infested leaves. You can cut the plant off to the ground and dispose of the leaves. New leaves will appear. I usually see some leaf miner damage after the plants flower. This year it stared very early and the plants are quite heavily infested.
we dont do anything for the columbine, but when they went for the river birch we put out systemic insecticide and it took 2 years but wiped em out. Ingrid

my
way
Unfortunately, columbine leaf miners are not affected by insecticidal soaps as they reside INSIDE the leaves and are untouched by spraying. I have yet to see them kill a plant, though. This spring, the miners haven't been a problem but columbine cutworms have - pretty odd to see all these blooming columbines with nothing but skeletonized foliage to offset them. Just cut off the affected foliage - new leaves will be produced almost immediately and should develop past the normal life cycle of the miners.
pam - gardengal
Hi Pam, thanks for the info re: columbine cutworms - I have several plants which literally lost the majority of their foliage in ONE NIGHT. You're correct however. The plants are sending up new foliage from the base. Do you think our heat wave of March and April accelerated the growth of these buggers? (I long for the heat and sunshine now - it's been cloudy and rainy for nearly 2 weeks now, and today is FREEZING).

it
soaps

But
soon
any
yet
blooming
cut
immediately

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=nash+metro ?? :-)
On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:46:21 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

Never seen a leaf miner infestation kill columbines yet. I'd imagine you would need to use a systemic unless you were able to time the emergence of the adult leaf miners but like I said I never seen a plant taken down by them.

there are lots of things to grow. there are also lots of aquilegia species. some might be more tolerant of miners. do you like the aquilegia fo flowers or foliage? for both?
Thanks Guys for all the suggestions !!! I removed all the infected leaves and just for giggles I did spray with insecticidal soap. I hope the plant will recover. Thanks Again Guys !

my
way