Lawn recovery question

The last of the snow melted off my lawn a few weeks back. I made the last cut pretty short last year (2 1/2 inches), but there still is a lot of flattened, matted, yellow grass all over the lawn. Do I need to rake this all out or will it disappear over time?
It all depends upon what sorts of grasses you have. Some grasses brown out over winter dormancy, only to green up once the weather warms. If snow has *just* melted, it will take a few days of consistently warmer weather to trigger growth. If you do rake, now would be a good time to over seed in an effort to crowd out opportunistic weeds which might spring up in the raked out bear patches.
-- David J. Bockman, Fairfax, VA (USDA Hardiness Zone 7) email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Bear patches... sheesh....... BARE. :oP
Dave

David J Bockman wrote:

It was just a little Boo-Boo, Ranger Smith.