Killing a tree.

Page 2 of 2

Nah, just lots of troll-detectors.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
I would not want to live near you, I always heard New Zealand was a peacefull place. But your "Good neighbor is a dead one" sure is not peacefully, I'd have to set up some claymores and a few punji stakes to keep you off my land.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Peter,
Usually, talking to a neighbor about the fact that his tree is damaging or threatening your property is a futile effort. Most neighbors are inconsiderate morons who don't give a damn if their tree, pets or kids are making your life miserable. Generally, talking with them only draws attention to you and you then become the first suspect when something happens to the tree.
Trust me, I spent the first couple of decades as a homeowner attempting to make very rare and very tactful request to neighbors. It usually just doesn't work. I should have learned more quickly that I'm not going to get any compromise from morons who put a compost pile at the property line 8 feet from my deck, who let their dog bark for 9 hours a day & 5 days per week, or who let their pets run free every day.
I got my wakeup call about 20 years ago when a next-door neighbor sprayed a general herbicide on parts of his lawn and the chemical leeched over to my side of the property and killed a lot of grass, my organic vegetable garden, well established grape vines and my raspberry plants. His response? "Hey, I didn't spray anything on your side of the property. What happens underground isn't my problem."
Personally, I'd appreciate any knowledge-based legal advise on solving problems such as yours. I have removed my large trees to alleviate a number of problems (clogged gutters, clogged drain tile, pressure on basement walls, poor lawn due to water competition, etc.) But I am still stuck with neighbors trees presenting the same problems for me. Morons grow big trees very close to the property line, ignoring the impact upon folks such as you and me.
Friendly talks with my neighbors are futile - they'll "permit" light pruning of limbs on my side of the property (at my expense, of course). In general, they will "permit" pruning of about 10% of the limbs and none of the roots on my property. All I get from my neighbors is large limbs falling on my property and on my roofs during every heavy storm, in addition to the clogged drains, poor grass, heaved concrete, etc.
Rent a trencher. Dig a trench around the perimeter of your property to cut every root entering your property. Drill 1/2" holes in the largest root stubs and fill with Ortho Roundup. Repeat once a week for 4 weeks.
Copper salts are very harmful to living plants, but Roundup is much, much better. Be certain to buy the largest container of Roundup with the highest concentration of the active ingredient. I believe that this is 41% concentration and it costs about $40 for a quart or so of the product. Apply at full strength. Be patient.
You can also drill large holes in the roots, drive copper pipes into the holes and fill the pipes with copper salts. Still, Roundup is more effective.
Of course, don't do this if it is illegal in your community. :)
Remember, once you have a friendly & futile talk with your neighbors, you can no longer be covert. They will now suspect you if anything happens to their precious trees (or pets, etc.).
You want to take about morons! Just drive around my neighborhood and count into the triple digits the number of trees that have been planted directly below the power lines. And now that they're getting trimmed back (if you want to call it trimming) by the city to prevent winter-time iced limbs from taking out the lines - the homeowners are up in arms over the "UGLY" way that the trees are trimmed. Oh, but lets see! Come winter and their power goes out because a limb dropped on the line and knocked it down - they yell the loudest that they are not being taken care of properly by the power company and are being ignored in the winter.
Kim
I should have learned more quickly

K, T, E & N wrote:

Here, it's the city that plants the big maple and elm trees right under the power lines.
Bob
O thank you!
This supportive post has steeled my resolve to undertake the death of this tree and I shall follow your advice to the letter.
I have long been vary of neighbours and have always lived on a corner (you get one less) and everything I do and don't do is calculated to avoid them.
I have no experience with lawyers in these situations, but the business world has taught me that once one has entered a dispute with anyone, the lawyers play cat and mouse with both sides to make as much money as possible for themselves. Lawyers are useful for setting up contracts etc and possibly investigating a prospective neighbour to see if he is barking mad, but they should be assiduously avoided. For example, how high can one build a boundary fence?
Friends of mine who have become enmeshed in these neighbour-disputes find themselves in a lengthy war of attrition with endless visits to "tribunals" of varying sorts where the wheels grind extremely slowly.
And dogs? When I was a boy, the neighbourhood where I lived was notorious for poisoned pooches. The technique was to get a lump of meat and cut a slot into which one inserted a quantity of strychnine, thereby guaranteeing the demise of a barking pest. They are easy to kill.

Well after the tree dies and they can plainly see it's death was caused by you and the first good storm hits and the tree falls and crush's your house, I'll wonder who you'll blame for that?
Look in the mirror at the dipstick.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
: Peter, : : Usually, talking to a neighbor about the fact that his tree is : damaging or threatening your property is a futile effort. Most : neighbors are inconsiderate morons who don't give a damn if : their tree, pets or kids are making your life miserable. Generally, : talking with them only draws attention to you and you then : become the first suspect when something happens to the tree. : : Trust me, I spent the first couple of decades as a homeowner : attempting to make very rare and very tactful request to neighbors. : It usually just doesn't work. I should have learned more quickly : that I'm not going to get any compromise from morons who put : a compost pile at the property line 8 feet from my deck, who : let their dog bark for 9 hours a day & 5 days per week, or who let : their pets run free every day. :
Oh my God! You lived on the OTHER side of the moron that caused me to sell my last house.. didn't you! neighbors can be a real pain. That's why I made a point of finding property this time with room to buffer the neighbors.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:48:14 GMT, "SVTKate"

especially when out spraying deisel fuel....
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold
Awww shaddap kid, ya bother me.
wrote: : : >neighbors can be a real pain. : : especially when out spraying deisel fuel.... : : : : : : Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. : -- Aldo Leopold
You don't want to tip off the neighbor of your intentions, so you dig this huge trench around your property? This neighbor may be a jerk, but he's not necessarily stupid. Every village has a Public Works Dept. and/or Building Department. I would inquire with them if there are any violations of code. You may still be held responsible for killing this tree, even if you work exclusively from your property. There are specialized tools that some municipalities have that can be used to cut the roots without digging big trenches. Try your local government first, before you take any desperation steps. Also check your local ordinances and regulations to see if you have any grounds for complaint.
Sherwin D.
Gideon wrote:

Several comments:
1) Drainage trenches for so-called "French drains" are extremely common and they often include lateral collectors that are extremely close to each of the two sides of the property in addition to an interceptor/feeder trench located extremely close to the rear property line. They are not a violation of code anywhere that I know about and I've failed to notice any SWAT teams shown on the 11 o'clock news, converging upon some homeowner with his rented 6" trencher and a few hundred feet of black flexible PVC drain pipe.
2) I live in a city, not in a village. The only villages I've ever seen have been in quaint 1940's style movies, generally set in England. But apparently we are being led to believe that in your village it is illegal to dig a drainage trench around your property but there is no problem asking the municipality to drop by and cut the roots of a neighbor's trees?
3) Where did you get your law degree?
Gideon
===============
You don't want to tip off the neighbor of your intentions, so you dig this huge trench around your property? This neighbor may be a jerk, but he's not necessarily stupid. Every village has a Public Works Dept. and/or Building Department. I would inquire with them if there are any violations of code. You may still be held responsible for killing this tree, even if you work exclusively from your property. There are specialized tools that some municipalities have that can be used to cut the roots without digging big trenches. Try your local government first, before you take any desperation steps. Also check your local ordinances and regulations to see if you have any grounds for complaint.
Sherwin D.
Gideon wrote:

This thread comes along so often it's boring before it begins. I suppose one can always do what one wants, but if you get caught you will pay big time. A mature tree is often valued in the tens of thousands of dollars in resale value. It is not hard to demonstrate a tree was poisoned, and who but the neighbor has a reason? Duh. As for cutting roots that affect a neighbors tree, well I suppose ordinances might vary. I would be kind of concerned about which way the tree will fall if it dies from cut roots.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Then you are woefully ignorant.

I suspect, as with most minor crimes, the police don't care unless it is reported.

Hence your ignorance in the matter.

It is here. One of the reasons to get a permit is you get a map detailing the various utilities that pass under your property so as not to cut them with your trenching tool.
Maybe he should just go ahead, run his trencher into a gas line. The resulting explosion should cure his problems.
> but there is no problem asking the

Ther're supposed to know where the utilities are buried.

And your's?

<snip>
        Bill