Japanese Maples

I had a young, grafted laceleaf JM that died above the graft over the winter. Below the graft it is now producing beautiful leaves. Is this worth keeping? Can I expect it to branch out eventually?
I also have a small weeping red-colored laceleaf JM that is gorgeous, but only has branches on 2 sides. Is there a way to encourage branching on the other sides so the tree looks a little more uniform?
Thanks for any help with this. I am new to JMs and I want to be successful because I love them.
Thanks, Lorraine
I edited the subject line and reposted this in the hope of getting responses. Thanks!
I replied to your post of 5/2/04.

over the

Is
Of course it's worth keeping if you like it. It's still an Acer and most of the Acers are beautiful trees.
-- Gerry www.garden-guide.net ... for responsible gardening

Good advice.
I've lost a tree and enjoy the sucker's from the cut off trunk.
We have all sort's of Japanese maples babies from 4 or 5 different parents. One 15 years old is now 10 inch's high and 15 inch's wide. Other's of full moon parentage are wonderful and like people seem to be unique. Our problem is now having many maturing plants is to give them away! Some are saved for future immediate family. We favor fine leaf and weeping forms.
Lot's of fun!
bill
--
Zone 5 In South Jersey USA Shade