Is it worth it ? (Re: Compost on Lawns)

I started another thread asking how to use compost on lawns. One of the replies made a very good point about weeds.
If you've used compost on lawns, did it also bring lot of weeds? I don't want to solve the fertilizer problem by creating the weed problem. I was wondering what your individual experiences have been with using compost.
I'm planning to use the compost that my city gives away for free. I'm not going to buy it.
Thanks.
On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:55:10 -0700, ted wrote:

I have used mushroom compost on lawns before with no problems. Try not to spread it too thick (no more than 1.5 inches). Properly composted material "shouldn't" have too much as far as weed seed in it. The compost from the city should of been composted correctly "hot composting" and can be used with little worry. I would be more concerned with the chemicals that could be in the compost. The city compost is generally the yard waste collected via the public. Lots of weed & feed and heavy metals from the fertilizers... (steping off soap box now :-) I would recycle mow (mulch mow) the lawn for a while. The compost will be a bit dusty when mowing for a while. Good luck with the lawn.
I use complsted steer manure it works great no instances of weeds so far but i have a postage stamp and that makes it gennerally easier to care for a lawn.
On Tue, 04 May 2004 04:08:39 GMT, Timothy