is it too late?

does anyone know if too late plant shrubs or trees? I'm getting a lat
start in my yard. I'd like to plant a couple of dogwoods if they stil have a chance of surviveing. thank
-- greengrass

You could try. It would have time to get a root system going, but I don't know what the heat would do to a newly planted dogwood. Most places have stopped shipping. I ordered one just under the wire for the last spring shipment and it failed to leaf out.
I don't recommend a bare root one. I lost my balled and burlapped or potted (can't remember) one too though years ago. It's best to plant them in the spring, then you are going to know if they are going to grow or not.

I planted the last potted holly shrub today in zone 6. I've planted balled and potted trees and shrubs as late as the later part of June with complete success. Make sure not to disturb the rootball when removing the burlap or pot. Keep the shrub or tree watered after planting.

If they're potted and you keep them well watered you should have no problem.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

If they are container grown, yes you can plant them now. However, I would set up a soaker hose and let it run for at least 6 hours after you plant it, and before you remove the tree from container, be sure to thoroughly saturate the root ball BEFORE it goes in the ground.