Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 9 of 9

The meat on a carcase is only 50% of the liveweight, therefore you have to look at the liveweight.
Am I supposed to

Rough figures: Cattle are made up of about 80% water and they would drink between 10-40 gallons a day as an adult depending on temperature and feed. Grain fed would probably ingest at the higher range. Steers are killed somewhere between 1 and 2 years old cows at around 6 years.
FarmI wrote:

OK, that accounts for between 1/6 and 1/5 of it...
I think your 10 to 40 gallons is really high*, but I used 35 gallons x 30.5 days/month x 16 months = ~17000 gallons.
(I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that article was just pulling big impressive numbers out of their ass)
HTH ;-) Bob
*yep, way too high: http://beef.unl.edu/FAQ/200708040.shtml

Just to be clear, 17,000 <<<< 1,000,000
And a lot of cow piss goes to keep the grass growing, it is recycled immediately, add a little solar energy and a few weeks, and it feeds the next!
J.
In article

But if we saved the grain that feed four steer and, mixed it with the meat of a fifth, how many people could we feed then? We could add some oregano and rosemary, an onion and, a little garlic. Serve it with a nice salad and a red wine. People wouldn't have to suffer and we could feed many more people? The future is coming. A new-klee-are war won't improve America's chances of staying on top of the food and energy chain. For every smart guy that we have to solve a problem, China and India have four smart guys. The best we can do is level the field of consumption so that we aren't so freakin' conspicuous. "If our leaders want a war over resources, we should hang all of them", I heard someone say. Personally, I'm a peaceful man but I can imagine the umbrage that some might take for the slaughter of their loved ones for private gain.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
wrote in message

or we could just not grain feed steers. cattle aren't made to eat grain anyway & a lot of antibiotic use could be spared by grass feeding steers, with the added benefit of better tasting beef. cattle can graze on land that is less suitable for other agriculture, hilly, rocky terrain, for example...

if Monsanto, Cargill & ADM didn't own the elected officials of the US, agriculture would be far better off & we might become the breadbasket once more. greed is a terrible thing.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Eh, Caught me asleep at the wheel again, you did;o) Quite right, if the cattle stayed in the feed lots for more than six months they would be dead from stomach ulcers. So Mr. and Mrs. Joe public get a steak from confined, freaked out, crap covers, dying steer that is shot up with antibiotics. A steak that still has all the hormonal responses to stress locked into the meat, yum, yum.

Tell this to the average American who watches Fox news and they will think you are a communist.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

well, there was a curve coming up ahead.. ;)

well, that's why almost all the small packing plants are out of business & it's illegal to sell farm slaughtered meat... people might find out just how *good* real, grass-fed, unstressed meat can taste. that would be a terrible blow to the big producers, you know, and put a serious dent in the drug & chemical company profits. can't have that!

there's a Fox News truck camped out down the road (that tornado in NH last week). i really want to stop & kick them a few times... lee <doesn't like tornados>
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Freaky, you beginnin' to sound like FarmI ;o)

Who needs a reason any more? Just tell them that it is on account.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Indeed...
--
Peace! Om

Give the girl a kewpie doll! She's soooo right.
Just once I'd like to see someone complain about all the water it takes to make one pound of tofu. Or explain how trail mix causes cancer. Or how eating plants is the cruel destruction of another life form.
Anything done by normal Americans is always wrong, it seems, but alternative diets or life styles never come under the microscope. I guess some people will never get out of the 60's.
Paul

Nice rant. :-)
--
Peace! Om

I'm glad to see that you are finally coming to your senses. Normalcy is highly over rated.

Not as long as we have a president that keeps requiring a new Rockefeller Commission or a Church Committee to keep him in his cage:o(

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Aye aye! At least carnivores kill their food before they eat it.
David

Most of the time....sashimi is best when freshly killed and still warm, and if it twitches a bit while I'm eating it, I'm OK with that :-)

Tell it to a python (type non-Monty).

Aye, aye, aye! Oh my lumbago.
Always did love that song ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Most constrictors suffocate prey before swallowing it. The only ones I've seen swallow prey alive have been the fish and frog eaters. Racers and their ilk.

--
Peace! Om

Feeling paranoid about a threat to a lifestyle that results in obesity statistics that are sky high is no recommendation for a 'do nothing' approach. Better to be stuck in the '60s when at least people were curious and interested than to be stuck in concrete.