Intro and question re: hedges

Hi! I am a _very_ beginning gardener in central Maine. Needless to say, we don't have a lot of time to do our gardening, so my learning curve is pretty shallow. :) Any links to info about gardening in Maine appreciated, especially good online catalogs for plants. I've started trying to landscape my yard a little better and prefer perennials. I grew some vegetables last year but didn't end up eating many, so I think I'll stick to decorative plants. I removed some hedges (privet I think) from the front of my home last summer, but left the two tall "anchors" on each corner of the home. Problem is that there are bald spots on the tall hedges where they butted up againts the shorter hedges. Will these fill in, and what should I do to promote that? The "bald spots" have dead looking branches, but no needles. My second hedge problem: there is a second row of low hedges along the sidewalk. The sidewalk snowblower loaded them up with snow this year and appears to have cracked them in half (we'll se better if/when the snow melts). Am I right in assuming I'll need to remove them? What would you replace them with? Thanks for any help! Amy

Reply to
V.

First, find out what kind of bushes they are. Privet has leaves, not needles. Then you can check on the growth habits of the plant to see if "filling in" is possible and how to encourage it with careful pruning.

Wait 'til the snow melts.

Reply to
Frogleg