I messed up by not pruning

More than 5 years ago I put in a weigelia that turned out to be perfect in that spot. I've been very pleased with it until this year. The trouble is that it didn't get too high so I never pruned it. This year the flowers and leaves are sparse. Do I just go in and cut every other branch to the ground?
Out back is a snowball bush (viburnum) 3 years old this spring. It never got full. Has beautiful flowers mostly at the tops of 8 foot canes. Do I cut these tall ones and leave the short ones?
Marilyn in Ohio
Go for it, wild child.
I severely cut back a miniature rose bush last fall and the darn thing is blooming its fool head off right now as we converse. Its almost like a big freaking pink snowball. Even the dogs are afraid to pee on it.

that
that it

leaves are

got
Well then you can have my cat he'll pee on anything! :-)...