Hypertufu - making look smoother

I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since concrete would be too heavy, I have turned to Hypertufa. My question is what can I do to make the planters look more like smooth concrete than aged stone? I would imagine using the smallest perlite or vermiculite possible would help. Any other tips?

Reply to
Mike C

Go to a joint like HD or Lowes and look in the paint aisle. There is a spray that looks like granite. A friend did her fireplace stone and it turned out really nice looking.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

Mike C wrote in news:1177349381.584137.296550 @y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Why is that the look you are going for? I sort of like the wire-brushed look of hypertufu but that's a serious question as to why you want a smooth look. How about starting moss on the outside of the pots? Pick up some moss, put in in a blender with buttermilk (proportions don't seem to matter) and pour it over the outside of the pot to grow new moss to cover the rough exterior.

Reply to
EvilGoddessFragileWarrior

On Apr 23, 1:22 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior

Reply to
sienna

On Apr 23, 3:22 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior look. How about starting moss on the outside of the pots? Pick up some

As I stated in the initial post, I have a contemporary house and garden. Anything age will look out of place. That is why I was looking for something smooth or at least no aged looking.

Reply to
Mike C

Mike C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n35g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Well, you think it will look out of place, you mean. It sounds like a perfect complimentary pairing, to me. :)

Reply to
EvilGoddessFragileWarrior

In the box stores cement section they sell a material in a yellow bag. I use that in linear molds, pressing into it words with plastic letters and the appearance is smooth. If you want, you can buy it and trowel it on till it's smooth and square. You may have to fashion some type of support structure for the top of the troth so it remains squared off with a crisp end. Did I explain that well? I think the stuff I buy has some type of acrylic in it. You can also use Portland cement because as far as I know there is no aggregate in it as concrete would have. It also can be troweled on to square things off.

Reply to
Jangchub

grout

Reply to