hydrangeas???

My oakleaf hydrangea, which had numerous huge blooms last year, has only a couple of puny blossoms this year. what fertilizer should i use? zone 7
cow manure put into the middle of the bush. I go cow pie picking every year in the pasture next door and pick the ones that are dried up and easily lifted with a garden fork, so in your case, composted cow manure, something like Black Kow they sell at Lowes or Depot. Fresh might burn it. If you have access to real finished compost, top dress it with that. My oak leaf blooms every year and I think it's because it's fed regularly, but where they're a wild shrub in Georgia, they happily live in woods, so leaf litter and composted leaves and humus is another must for them. madgardener East Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 who has planted two young Oakleaf hydrangea's butt to butt for a fuller shrub.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 09:45:32 -0400, Judy Cosler

Hi Judy, My hydrangea bloomed for the first time this year! I'm in zone 7. I fertilized mine with Miracle Grow, fish emulsion, and compost. It took it 5 years before it finally bloomed and the clusters are over 8" across! Last year it put out a lot of leaves (no blooms). A praying mantis was frequently seen standing tall on the topmost leaf. I buried the hydrangea in leaves to keep it from dying back as in previous years--maybe that's what did the trick.