How fast do Japanese Maples grow?

Hi All,

I know there are many varieties of these trees. The kind I am interested in is the green broad leaf ( not the thread leaf ) variety. I am not sure what the botanical name is. How long would it typically take for it to become let's say 10 ft. tall? 5, 10, 20 years?

many thanks,

Barry Andrews

Typical greenleaf Japanese maple is seed-grown & reaches ten feet in ten years, will eventually max out in the 15 to 25 foot range. Atropurpureum is often seed-grown as well & about the same size -- these are essentially the wild forms of Acer palmatum or Japanese maple & the fastest growing. Grafted named cultivars tend to grow more slowly, though even many of the upright dwarfs are easily six feet in ten years & will eventually be ten to fifteen feet or larger.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat