How do you revitalise a Laburnum Walk?

I've recently moved into a house with a rather dishevelled laburnum walk. After several years of neglect the tunnel effect seems to have been totally lost, with lots of vertical shoots. I'd very much like to revitalise it, but am not sure how hard I can afford to prune back the existing growth. I'd guess its been planted for about twenty years.
Any advice gratefully received!
Laburnum is readily pruned and makes strong growth quite quickly but will not flower immediately on these new growths. Do make an effort to bring some of the present vertical growths into the framework, though they are brittle. Do not prune too hard as named varieties are grafted and you might prompt growth from the stock but don't be afraid to remove what isn't needed.. If you burn the prunings beware of the smoke~~ much of the plant is poisonous, especially the seeds that resemble small green peas to children. The wood shows unexpected colours that are unique. I have assumed L.anagyroides syn. vulgare.