Help...Hibiscus is getting yellow leaves!

Now my Hibiscus is turning yellow at the bottom...anyone have an idea why? It's in a big pot in the sun...do I need to move it to partial shade? Or maybe feed it something special? It's got plenty of water so I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks for any help! Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Hi, Hibiscus that is too dry, too wet, too warm or too cool get yellow leaves which will fall. Correct the problem and it should grow more. Have you moved the plant lately? What does plenty of water mean? How long in pot? hth -_- how to reply remember no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

It's been in the pot since I bought it about 1 1/2 months ago. I water it when I water the butterfly garden...usually about 3 times a week. I haven't moved the pot at all. Do I need to move it to the partial shade for awhile?

Thanks! Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Hi, You will have to figure out what the problem is being that the leaves yellow easily and is not an indication of a particular problem. Hibiscus grow well in full sun but if it is in a dark pot there is a potential of the roots getting too warm. Watering when the other plants are watered does not mean it is getting enough, it may be getting too much. Did the yellowing just start or has it been going on since you bought it? Has it flowered? hth -_- how to reply remember no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

I am plant-stupid but learning since moving to southern Alabama. I learn by trial and error. Anyway, I've decided hibiscus is pretty tough long-term and can survive alot of abuse although it might not look pretty and are pretty fragile in the short-term. I bought a hibiscus bush last spring and planted it in the ground. It flowered beautifully all summer. Then we moved in October and I decided I wanted to take it with me so dug it up and put it in a big pot. While it was sitting in the yard ready to get on the moving truck the dogs mangled all my potted plants and the hibiscus was about the only to survive -- a little worse for the wear. I kept it in the house over the winter and it bloomed in my kitchen in October and November. Then ALL the leaves fell off and I thought it was dead. So I kept my "dead" hibiscus bush in the house in a corner until about March then stuck it out in the yard and mulched it and tossed in a little fertilizer and a prayer. It fully leafed out and is beginning to bloom.

Hope you figure out why the leaves are yellowing but never give up on it!

amy

Reply to
Amy D