gunnera, will it wilt in zone 7a

Intrigued by gunnera and live it a hot Atlanta climate. I've read it needs humid and cool summers. Any experience with this crazy plant in zone 7-8? Any advice on Gunnera manicata vs. Gunnera other? I've got a wet and shady backyard except for a curious mid-day 2-3 hr window of hot sun. Thanks.

got>a wet and shady backyard except for a curious mid-day 2-3 hr window of>hotsun.
We are zone 8b and have no problem with Gunnera - you just lop the leaves off around Halloween and mulch the plant with them.
They do require a reasonable level of moisture (perfect beside a pond) and can burn in direct hot sun all day but so what? Plant it near water or in the middle of a lawn, and stand back. They are good to zone 7 in terms of winter low temps, if suitably mulched.
Here's one beside my pond a couple of years ago -its even bigger now. http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/albums/album_image/112402/12361.htm

I recall seeing a website from someone in zone 6 with Gunnera. They were in southern Ontario. As I recall, they "mulched" it with layers of used carpeting.