growing mint

can it be grown in partial shade?

Reply to
Ignoramus13397

Most definitely, yes. While heat does not seem to bother it, hot sun does. Mint grows quite well in full or part shade.

I suggest you grow it in a container and not in the ground. Mint can be very invasive. It also likes lots of water. I have it growing luxuriously in a 10-inch clay pot. It's watered every second morning by the lawn sprinklers. Every noon, it gets a very short sprinkling, just to dampen things down (primarily for my camellias and azaleas).

Reply to
David Ross

I once grew mint in sun/shade until I found out how invasive it can be. Are you considering growing it in a pot?

Regards.

Reply to
eclectic

What about the winter? We live in Zone 5 with -5F occurring every winter. How would it survive in a container?

Thanks, I will reconsider my mint plans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);} "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Reply to
Ignoramus13397

Yes it can grow in partial shade. You can put it in marmalade!

You can grow it in a hat. You can grow it with a cat.

You can grow it anywhere. There's no problem, it doesn't care.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Just fine. It winters over in a pot on my balcony quite nicely in Canadian Zone 6b, equivalent to your USDA 5. The trick it to tuck the pot in next to something with mass... the side of the building, other pots, or dig it into the ground. Mint is tough. It will handle USDA zone 4. It's the rapid changes in soil mass termperature that tough on potted plants over a winter. Once it gets frozen, it's important to keep the plant frozen until spring. By either burying the pot in the ground, or tucking it in next to a big mass, you slow down the freeze/thaw cycle and allow that to happen.

Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

Reply to
A mukluk wearing troll

EXCELLENT!!!