Garlic & Mosquitoes.

There's a product out there called "Mosquito Barrier"

that purports to effectively stink skeeters out of your yard. This is done by using a garlic extract -- the "fragrance" goes away quickly for us big noses, but for the skeeters hyper-sniffers it lingers. They claim it can even be used in a fogger, with oils or soap, and so forth -- sounds too good to be true.

I've heard of similar solutions (i.e., those using garlic extracts) but I can't say as I've ever met someone who has used them. Naturally, there are all sorts of testimonials but if this stuff is so great then why are resmethrin, pyrmethrin, and other pesticides being used instead? Makes one wonder....

Someone mentioned this on another group I'm in and I remembered I wanted to learn more about it a while back, so I thought I'd post over here. Has anyone actually USED this product or one of the similar products? If so, how effective was it and how long did the effects last?

James

Reply to
JNJ

Hi James, Unfortunately, I do not have any answers. I would like to tack on another question. How does this affect animals, such as dogs, which also have super sniffers?

Heidi

JNJ wrote:

Reply to
Heidi

From the literature, not at all.

According to what I've read, the garlic is pretty much without odor in no time -- I'd wager even to dogs, although it probably takes a tad longer than for humans I'd imagine.

Give the info at mosquitobarrier.com a read through -- they talk about what amounts to most of the questions I would expect are commonly asked; how is it applied (sprayer/fogger), what's in it (all organic), how concentrated (2oz per gallon of water), how much does it cover (something like an acre for a quart), how to store it, is it safe for pets & kids (yes), does it hold up to rain (yes as long as it's been applied for something like 24 hours), will my yard stink (not after about 15 minutes), and so forth.

They also claim it can take care of grasshoppers as well but they don't go into much detail on what OTHER insects it might harm/drive away, except to say ladybugs aren't affected and butterflies are fine as long as it isn't sprayed directly on them. From the way they talk, it sounds as if this stuff will actually kill mosquitos it comes in direct contact with (i.e., during spraying) which is an added plus IMHO. It's also supposed to be effective against fleas, ticks, aphids, gnats and similar bugs.

I did a search on "garlic repellent mosquito" on Yahoo and got a decent number of results to look through but I'm still looking for someone who has actually used the stuff before I buy it -- at 30 bucks a quart (after shipping) it ain't cheap.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Garlic and Mosquitoes? Ick!

I prefer my mosquitoes sprinkled over a nice light broth!!!

A garlic banana split? Sounds yummy! Try sprinkling the top with sundried tomatoes and a shaking of those caterpillar poops!!!

: )

Reply to
Phrederik

Why is garlic so often ascribed magical properties? We all know it repels vampires, of course. Maybe, as an edible substance, its powers are a version of "if it makes your life more difficult, it must be good for you." It seems to me that any medicinal benefits could only be achieved by eating a vast quantity every day. I have it on anecdotal authority that "odorless" garlic supplements *do* produce a great deal of offensive odor. *People* find garlic breath or perspiration offensive, but why should we think animals or insects are similarly affected? We also find garlic enticing and include it, both raw and cooked, in many recipes.

Reply to
Frogleg

Now think for a minute. You have been eating garlic for 20 years. It's only natural you won't be offended by the odor, because you can't smell it on someone else.

Tom J who is never bothered by garlic odors either :-)

Reply to
Tom J

"Shepherd" wrote in news:5Sk8b.139079$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I've heard the opposite, that eating a banana attracts mosquitoes and it seems to be true for me. Eating Vitamin B-something is supposed to repel them. There was a discussion here about a couple of months ago, complete with a link to a JAMA article. Should be on google.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Sorry, disagree. I found tobacco odor offensive even when I was smoking. In fact it is what helped me stop smoking. I didn't eat garlic until I moved out east and the odor never bothered me before or after I began eating it. The properties, by the by I just read, are supposed to be far better when eating raw garlic which my son likes but that I like only in pesto. DKat

Reply to
dkat