Gaillardia sprawling

How can I keep it from sprawling?
It bears flowers profusely, so I don't want to upset it by excessive cutback. Or would I?
First time I've had this plant; reseeds like crazy!
Don't know if it likes to sprawl, or what?
I went to http://www.floridata.com/ref/G/gaillad.cfm but didn't find anything specific about sprawling.
Anybody with experience give me feedback?
Tx.
Persephone
--
They that can give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
<Persephone> wrote in message>

I can't get the stuff to grow! In general, when perennials sprawl, you should cut back on the fertilizer. Also, I find that cutting back perennials is a good thing. Some things respond well to being cut back early, before they bloom. The plants stay more compact and the bloom time is delayed, which helps prolong color in the garden. Other plants can be cut back after they bloom when they tend to deteriorate anyway. They often come back more compact and bloom again.
Do you know the species because Gaillardia has several species Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5

Not sure; don't know how it appeared in my garden.
Western Garden book picture looks like "Pulchella".
I'll try to post a picture. Thanks.
Persephone