foundation/slope question

I need some advice on how to cover the ground in front of my house. I want to put brown gravel/small stones down, but it looks like I'm going to have to build up the slope. I've attached some photos for you to see. It looks like the rain water drips off my roof and has created this small drip line. The ground near the bushes is just slightly higher than at the house foundation. I"m trying to avoid having to dig out the dirt to slope the ground away from the house. I"m wondering if you all think that building up the ground close to my house would be a viable option, to create more slope. Any ideas?

CB

Thanks. Any suggestions on how I built up the ground by the house? With what material? I absolutely love red twig dogwood. Any reason why I should choose that particular plant? What should I do with the existing boxwood? Could I incorporate the dogwood in with those or do you think it would look weird? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

CB

I wonder if you could dig a small trench, not really deep, to steer the water along the foundation and down away from it? If you lined it with small river stone it might hold up for you. Other wise use French drain pipe to do the same job.

Reply to
betsyb

i would BUILD UP the ground near the house and plant some red twig dogwood.

readandpostrosie

Before anything else, install gutters and downspots with about a 10' run away from the house. Then, you can build up the ground around the house with soil and then top dress with anything you want. If you don't address the constant erosion from dripping rain water, you'll continue to have problems. Also, your siding will stay cleaner without the dirt being constantly splashed on it from the dripping water. TomC

CB wrote in article ...

TomC

Well you defiantly need gutters or anything you plant there will get beat to death. I would add plenty of amendments and build it up some. I see you have a somewhat short foundation to your home and I don't know if you have a bad termite problem in VA. At any rate I wouldn't build the soil up to within 6-8 inches from the siding just in case of moisture/drainage problems causing rot. Good luck, Elaine in Ga Zone 7b

Elaine