Flowering plant ID question

Last summer I happened to drive past a yard that had a bushy plant with really large, dangling flowers covering it. I didn't get a really close look, but I've wanted to get one of them ever since. Since spring is on the way, I've been trying to key-word search google and ebay to find what the plant is. So far, I've found that it looks really similar to a "Brugmansia" variety, but I see that Brugmansia isn't hardy to my zone, 7b (in upper South Carolina). Is there a plant similar to Brugmansia that handles zone 7 it could have been, or can some Brugmansia survive zone 7 winters?

Reply to
Darren Garrison

Datura is another. It seems one has the flowers more pendant than the other.

It grows easily from seed and should do quite well in zone 7. We're in zone 4/5 and my plants were colorful, fragrant and nearly 5' by frost. Some dig up the plants, pot them and store them over winter.

I believe it is a tropical. What you saw most likely is being grown as an annual.

Reply to
WiGard

Is there a plant similar to Brugmansia that

Same plant. Datura is the common name and was the genus for a while. But Datura is now Brugmansia spp.

Reply to
Ricky

Brugmansia is has pendant blooms and the Datura blooms are upright or erect.

WiGard

but similar plants, both belonging to the nightshade family.

Reply to
WiGard

Interesting. Datura is sold as Brugmansia by everyone in S. Florida.

Reply to
Ricky

Thanks for the info, I've already ordered three potted cuttings. I was a little bit concerned about the poisonous aspect seeing that I have cats, but I decided that, since they have always been around other poisonous plants outside-- elephant ears, azelias (sp?), tomatoes, even some wild polkberry-- and haven't eaten those, they'll probably leave these alone, too.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

really large, dangling

get one of them ever

google and ebay to find what

"Brugmansia" variety, but I see

there a plant similar to

survive zone 7 winters?

take pics at distance, providing scale, and of details, and post it on one of the "id this" or "what is this" plant sites.

Reply to
LanscpHort