Fallen tree?

Have a very large old pine tree blow over last night on to neighbors front yard. Not sure if it's on my property or his, sort of on the line.

Generally speaking, who's responsible? Me, him or both?

Thanks...

Reply to
BE

Responsible for removal that is...

Reply to
BE

If it was a healthy tree with no known defects. then clean-up is the responsibility of the person that owns the property for that portion the tree landed on. On the other hand, if there are decayed places in the tree and that's where it gave way, then you may have a clean-up on your hands.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

First off, who has ownership of the tree? Who property is the tree's trunk located (before it fell)? In the odd case that the tree was dead square on the property line, then it falls under who cared for the tree before it fell. Did you trim it or did the neighbor? If no-one cared for the tree, then it's could be considered shared property and your both responsible.

I'd suggest that you and the neighbor split the difference on the clean up. It seems very likely that both of you enjoyed the the same and ownership seems a bit fuzzy. Best to keep good releations with the neighbor imho. Otherwise I would suggest that you survey your property before any clean up happens and figure out ownce and for all who is the true owner.

Reply to
Timothy

Thanks for the replies. I'll speak to him soon. More than likely we'll split the cost and rent a chipper, have go at it with a chain saw...

Reply to
BE

Were I live, it's not who owns the tree, but whether it was an act of God that brought the tree down (wind, tornado, hurricane) or whether it was a diseased tree. Act of God, each person is responsible for cleaning their own property. Diseased tree, the owner is responsible.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

You may want to phone your village or town office to find out what the regulations are. Most places have tree ordinances to cover these cases.

Sherw> Have a very large old pine tree blow over last night on to neighbors front

Reply to
sherwindu