fabric under lakeshore gravel

I am installing a gravel lakeshore for my uncle and want to do it right. Some have suggested landscape fabric (2 layers) beneath the 8" deep of 3" rip rap that will be going down. The size of the area is 6' x 300'. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I would check to see if what you propose is legal. In many jurisdictions messing with bodies of water may require all sorts of permits.

USDA Zone 8
On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:30:49 GMT, "Travis"

It is a man-made lake (or pond) in western Illinois and other homeowners in the association have similar rip rap on their shoreline.
Joe

What's the intended purpose of installing landscape fabric in this particular place? Stop weeds? And, does the lake freeze in the winter?
On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:57:58 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

There are willows and weeds growing along the shore that have been cleared but are coming back. He wants a cleaner, weed free shoreline so they can fish from shore without getting muddy or scratched up.
Joe
On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:57:58 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Yes, it freezes in the winter.

OK...I'm wondering if the movement and heaving of the ice will rip up the landscape fabric, so it'll end up messy, in shreds, and have to be replaced. This may point out the importance of doing some very exhaustive research into various types of fabric.

I've heard of construction fabrics being put under stone road beds to distribute the load. They are probably more rugged than landscape fabric. Frank
They put a large main water line thorugh this area years ago and used a very heavy fabric. I got ahold of a partial roll from them and had used it in and around trees adn flower beds as well as under my driveway so mucd does not come up through. It has held up fine....Of ocurse I do not get freezing weather of any kind here and house water lnes are sometimes only 10- 12 inches below the ground level.
But they ripped up a section of this water line to change things around and the fabricx that got pulled up was in extremely good condition.......The water main was installed along the centerline of a gravel road, so it did get lots of pressure and stress put on it. Check with a supplier of maleable iron pipe such as used for water lines, or a sanitary sewer engineering, or your local water authority for info on where they get their fabric. I am sure it would probabaly last through freezes without a problem....much more substantial than the material sold in garden centers and big box stores, and probably cheaper to buy as well especially in the quanity your probably looking to use.
On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:49:30 GMT, "Frank Logullo"

=============================================Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!