Excluding deer

I am contemplating using horizontal strands of galvanized wire to fence out deer around our garden. What I do not know is what is the minimum spacing of these horizontal strands that will effectively screen out deer? I understand that they may be able to stick their heads through the wires, but I intend to have a 3'-0" path around the garden which should leave most plants out of reach.
The fence will be 8 feet high. I have priced out various materials and the wire seems to be the most cost effective.
So, what is a recommended minimum horizontal spacing?
TIA
Stephen
think electric fence. put a 3-4' short green wire type of stuff on the bottom to keep out rabbits. 2" up from green stuff put the first hot wire. probably every 18-24" put another hot wire. around the perimeter lay down that larger opening green wire .. it will catch at their feet and they wont come near the fence. otherwise, use tall aluminum conduit to sorta hang bird netting on the outside. this also freaks em out. Ingrid

I know that others would disagree, but I only have two wires (both electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5' (top of 6' t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we have a lot of deer. Once they get a couple of zaps, they stay away from it.

: I know that others would disagree, but I only have two wires (both : electric), one is about 3-4" off the ground and the other is 5' (top of 6' : t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we : have a lot of deer. Once they get a couple of zaps, they stay away from it. :
why would others diagree? it works right?
rosie who just bought a house in "deer country"....................

t-post driven in ground). Haven't had any trouble since with deer and we have a lot of deer.>>
I don't disagree, but I have had success with just a single wire at the 3' level. They seem to stay away and not try to jump it so I don't need the higher wire. I have three widely seperated areas that I want to protect and they each are on a different circuit. The small zapper I got for the vegetable garden was only $24.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
lucky. of course, you can do the slather the wire with peanut butter. let em lick that and they wont come back. Ingrid

Deer are inheritantly lazy and easily spooked. They will avoid barriers they can easily see. They will try to crawl under a fence before they will effortlessly hop over it.
They tend to respect fences they can see easily before they come to them. Hence a 4' wire mesh fence will usually just be an annoyance to them. A 4' wire mesh fence with plastic bags decorating it will be a barrier to them.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman