Evergreens Question

I will be building a house in MA and I need landscaping advice. My land is very close to a highway - so I am planning to plant mature evergreens to block the noise. I would like them to be 6 ft tall and dense. What would you recommend and how much approximately should I budget for 80 ft frontage?
Thanks Art
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Japanese Holly

Depends if you want instant gratification then you must pay for it. Yet small plants turn into large ones.
I'd consider a berm with rhododendrons.
Bill

PS OK to make many mistakes so look about your neighbor plantings.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

I am building a duplex and will be selling half of it. Cannot wait until the plants mature.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Maybe consider a fence. Shrubs and such do very little with noise. A fence to block some of the noise and a water feature (fountain) to mask the remaining noise would be a decent solution.
-Felder
On Jan 22, 2:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Some plants/trees are more sensitive than others to exhaust from automobiles, so if it's a busy highway and/or your trees will be in close proximity to the road, that might be another thing to consider in deciding what to use.

You probably won't get much noise attenuation from trees or shrubs -- a solid berm or wall will do much better. You might consider windows especially designed for noise reduction -- I know they're out there, but can't give you any details. Choice of building materials may also help-- the houses I've been in with ICF walls have been very quiet (ICF: those styrofoam giant lego blocks filled with concrete).
http://www.nonoise.org/library/highway/probresp.htm http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/noise/design/3.htm . http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/soar/sciproj2000/StevenP.html http://www.dot.state.mn.us/environment/noise_analysis/faqs.html
zone??? frankly, cost is VERY local, so call around and ask in your neck of the woods. Ingrid