'drip irrigation advice/experience needed

I know nothing about the issue other than glancing at some stuff at Wal-mart and looking on Ebay. I have 2-3 areas in my backyard I may try to set up for this.
Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has advice on brands to use/avoid or books/websites with some general guidance.
thanx guys
Carl 1 Lucky Texan
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Add pictures here
✖

I've been rather happy with Raindrip. (Even though the 1/2 gallon per hour inline drippers don't seem to fare too well on my high-mineral- content well water; they seem to clog up fairly quickly.)
I've never read any books or web sites. I started in with this Drip System thing with one of those Patio Watering Kits. It had/has a little booklet inside which showed how to set things up and some guidelines for designing the system. (Don't worry, it isn't difficult unless you have a MAJOR operation to set up.)
The pressure compensating (PC) drippers go at the end of the line and seem to be doing better for me than the inline. (Again, with the well water; didn't have nearly as much of a problem when I was on city water.)
In using the Full Circle Spray (not the bubblers) I've noticed they work best when on their own 1/4" line to the 1/2" distribution. That is:
|| O--------|| || O----------|| || O--------|| ||
Rather than
|| O || | || O--+--------|| | || O ||
Doesn't seem to matter as much with the bubblers. (The type that send streams of water rather than a spray of water.)
I used a 15 psi pressure regulator for a time; but that didn't seem to do very much. 25 psi seems to be better for me.
I've also seemed to have better luck using the screw caps for the end of the line rather than the Figure-8 thing. (You'll know what I'm talking about when ya see it.)
As far as how I have mine connected it's:
Hose Bib/Faucet --> Timer --> Pressure Regulator --> Anti Siphon --> Threaded swivel --> 1/2" distribution line
On a line that goes up the hill with the requisite drop in PSI I've left off the Pressure Regulator and the timer and simply connect (via a quick connect system) the Anti Siphon to the hose and turn it on for as long as I want to water.
How's that for too much useless information?? ;)
--Bryan
* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
✖
I used the 100 foot long rolls with built emitters in it the last couple of years in our 1/3 acre veggie garden as well as around the house with various emiters dnspray nozzles, and it has saved money on water buills and the plants look so much better. Can water most any time of day and not worry about plants getting scalded or settingu0p mold and mildew when water late at night........Raindrip is the brand I used sold at Home Depot but I have bought it online as well.
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:17:01 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan

✖
Let me give you a good address:
http://www.plasgotirrigation.com/products.htm
This is a Spanish company producing all kind of products for the drip irrigation. They have an on-line shop too.
This is not spam, I bought a few accesories from this company a few weeks ago, and received them without problems in my address in Germany.
I hope this could be helpful.
Add pictures here
✖
Let me give you a good address:
http://www.plasgotirrigation.com/products.htm
This is a Spanish company producing all kind of products for the drip irrigation. They have an on-line shop too.
This is not spam, I bought a few accesories from this company a few weeks ago, and received them without problems in my address in Germany.
I hope this could be helpful.
Add pictures here
✖
google up an outfit called "dripworks" , I have dealt with them before and they won't steer you wrong
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I thought you said "2 or 3 acres" in your back yard, not "areas". If these are small areas, just ignore my previous message.
Regardless of the size of the system, the most important parts are the filter and some form of pressure regulation.
Note to self: get glasses checked.
Best regards, :-) Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Hello, check out this: http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/mar292005/spt9.asp It's a article on diffues irrigation using a mud pot. Mud pot's are porus and leech moisture in to the soil..MInd you, i don't know if it works so..
Also check out: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com /. He's got stuff on drip irrigation. Don't neglect the wikipedia; you may find stuff on reference article's
Add pictures here
✖
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

thanx everyone. Looks very do-able and , for me, would probably reduce labor in my backyard by 2/3-3/4 (watering related) with some likely $ savings to boot!
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Add pictures here
✖
I think a lot of the drip irrigation stuff sold in gardening catalogues and places like Walmart is not really useful, as it just replaces using a hose.
The way to save with any irrigation system is to have a controller that irrigates very early in the day (before most people are up), so the water soaks into the earth and you lose none to evaporation by the sun.
I would suggest you look at the web sites of some of the irrigation companies, where they explain how to design and install the system. I know rainbird has drip irrigation systems, and I would guess that the other companies, like Toro, also have them.
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Not@home wrote:

That is good advice, particularly for my area as loss to wind and evaporation are quite high I suspect later in the day. I'm not averse to handwatering per se and will still likley be 'in' the garden almost daily anyway - I'd just like to do as you say and set up a timer for 3-4 am or so. Now, I frequently use a mechanical timer to water my front lawn and some landscape plants, setting it at bedtime. Works quite well. But in the back it is less practical and more likely to damage many of the plants.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Add pictures here