Discretion in dealing with gardener spouse

planting too close to the house is something a great many of us do precisely because we havent checked out what plants can do to houses, or because we are over zealous. My mother was a master gardener and our house suffered. deep rooted shrubs/trees over the septic system vines that pried the mortar between the bricks and pried clapboards loose trees with roots from hell too close to the foundation and one that we found out would explode if hit by lightning. during an ice storm big branches of this tree did fall dangerously close to the house and it had to be removed. and as you say, failure of some plants because they didnt get watered from being under the eaves. OTOH, house builders would like to see this minimum of 3 foot "zone" of crushed rock around the perimeter of the house. I think that might be too much in the other direction. I occasionally watch these "curb appeal" shows and basically they all involve whacking the bushes that are next to the house and/or hiding it. Now if the outside of the house is really ugggggly, maybe greenery helps hide it. around here is seems some people are using bushes on the outside instead of blinds on the inside. or maybe using bushes to prevent burglars from using windows to get into the house???? anyway, they seem to be hiding in their houses. OTOH, nice plantings near the house can accent it beautifully. I just know I dont have the best eye for this. Ingrid

"Toni" wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Hire a professional landscaper to review your layout and make suggestions.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Unfortunately I can sympathize with your wife. I also seem to plant too close to the house and DH comes out and kindly asks me if I have done any research about the plant or checked with the wonderful people on this newsgroup before I planted my new friend. Of course in my excitement to get it in the ground (due to happiness, time constraints as well as being in the mood), I want to quickly get it in the ground so I can admire the color and the beauty. I never seem to think about the future and how big it will get or whether it will overshadow other plants or if other plants in full bloom will overshadow my new friend. I really hate to admit that my DH is right (usually 95% of the time, which is truly aggravating!) and mumble the entire time I dig up my new friend and move it away from the house or plant it in a different spot. Of course I get over my grumbling when I can really admire my friend the next year and seems it is in the perfect spot it is now in. I guess after 23 years, DH is used to me by now! What I'm getting at, is maybe it is how you approach your spouse and how you say it rather than just what you say. It works for my DH!

loony

Reply to
loonyhiker